Upgrading ERA 3.x to 4.x with SQL database

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by rockshox, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Has anyone upgraded their ERAS v3.1.15 to v4.0.122 that is using a SQL Server 2005/2008 database for the backend?

2. Fransb

Fransb Registered Member

Everything went alright here with SQL 2008 , did a full import installation was blazing fast.

3. rockshox

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll have to give it a try next week.

4. rockshox

Just a followup. My upgrade was a total disaster.

Big Note: Delete all descriptions you might have entered under Policies PRIOR to upgrading as the database migration tool totally bugged on my descriptions (which did not contain a single quotation).

Basically I ran the upgrade, the upgrade removed ERA 3.1.15.0, created a dmp file, installed 4.0.122.0 and then tried to re-import the dmp file. About 99% through the import I get a SQL error "unclosed quotations" and it errors out, rolls back the install leaving me with nothing installed, and a useless dmp file that won't import. Ended up calling ESET support which was a total waste of an hour which included training the support tech that there isn't a C:\Documents and Settings\All Users folder on a Windows 2008 Server box. After doing a clean install of 4.0.122, and trying the import again (which failed), the tech wanted me to delete the \server folder as he thought it was causing problems. In his defense, he did tell me that I would lose my mirror folder, packages, scan logs which I wasn't worried about. What I didn't know is that Policies are NOT stored in the database?? but in x.dat files where x = the ID from the Policy table. Seriously, someone please give me a single good reason that policies are not stored in the database.

Good thing though our ERA server is virtual, so was able to retrieve all the policies from a prior snapshop and setup ERA 4 from scratch. A nice waste of 6 hours of my time.

5. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

6 hours? ^^ The buggy upgrade procedure cost me 3 workdays ^^ No support from eset :'(

At the end, i also had to install ERA 4 from scratch... impossible to upgrade from 3.1.15, even with manual db upgrade befor upgrading ERAS

6. ludvikkh

ludvikkh Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.