Upgraded system to Asus P5B Deluxe-Lost firewire on bootdisk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobmitch, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

New system

Asus P5B Deluxe (P
    Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (P965 Chipset)
    Nvidia Graphics Card
    Two WD Raptors in Raid 0 (Intel ICH:cool:
    Acronis TI 10 build 4942

In Windows my external Firewire Drive is detected no problem...for backup
    When I boot to recovery disk...the drive is NOT detected. Had no problems with my older motherboard and firewire

If I attach the drive via USB 2.0...it's there with no problems

What happened to firewire? I much prefer because transfer rates are more stable...I have to use USB 2.0 for the time being

Thanks

Bob

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Sounds like a chipset/driver issue. Are you confident that you are using the latest build of TI 10 on your rescue disk - i.e. was the disk definitely made from the installed build 4942, and not from an earlier one.

If so, I suggest you use a two pronged approach:

1) Raise a support request via support@acronis.com
    2) Build a BartPE rescue disk to allow you to continue to work in the meantime.

F.

3. bobmitch

I can still backup via Firewire...just can't restore. So..."should" the time come to restore...I will connect via USB 2.0 and do just that. I will try to pass it along to the tech dept at Acronis as well

Thanks

Bob

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bobmitch,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the hard drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. bobmitch

Hi Marat

Thanks for the reply. I submitted a report earlier today. Funny...prior to this issue, I never had "firewire" issues on my 875 chipset motherboard. As I stated...I backup and verify in Windows using firewire. Then...when I run the bootdisk...it loads normally but does not recognize the firewire hard drive (same one I have been using all along-Seagate 200 GB Firewire / USB 2.0). The only difference is the two motherboards. Here is my info:

Old Motherboard: Asus P4C800E-Deluxe Intel 875 Chipset with Firewire built into the motherboard
    New Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe Intel 965 Chipset with two firewire built into the motherboard.

It is NOT a pressing issue...just a bit inconvenient. Before I did a totally new install on the P5B today...I tested a few configurations. First...installed Windows Vista...then TI10. Backed up Firewire...booted to disk with Seagate on firewire. No drive to restore from. Backed up firewire...booted to TI disk with Seagate connected USB 2.0...Seagate was there...did a restore and everything was normal.

So at this time...I am still fully functional...I just wonder if there are two different manufacturers for the firewire chips on both boards. Also...there is NO DVD / CD drive after boot into the TI recovery disk...on P5B Deluxe...however...that is most likely because the IDE connector on the motherboard for PATA is NOT Intel...it is J.micron. Not even my old DOS boot disk with CD drivers loaded can find my burner now. You may want to check into that one...

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.