Upgraded from version 8 -- can't install version 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by theog, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theog

theog Registered Member

Upgraded from version 8 to version 10... version 10 will not install. Seems to make it 98%, then backout. No reason provided, says I must install again.

After going around and around before the purchase the guy in the chat said he would provide a key to version 9, which does install.... after my purchase, he bailed and told me to contact support. lol... so I was tricked. :cautious:

Anway, support said (I don't get step #2... what is that?):

1. Launch the product installation file (the file you launched before, the one that rolls back at the very end of installation process as you reported)
    2. Once the Acronis product installation screen appears, right-click on the name of the component that fails to install (Acronis True Image 10.0 Home). You should see two options there: Install and Extract. Select "Extract".
    3. Select the path for extracting the component and click Save (it is better to save to root folder of a drive to make the further steps easier, for instance to C:\). MAKE SURE THAT YOU REMEMBRED FILE NAME AND PATH.
    4. Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name,

Support here is a lot slower than I remember years ago.. seems people were a lot more friendly as well. Support has been slow and not very helpful so far.... I guess acronis has grown...

Anyway, any help on how to get me started would be great... I need ver 10 for the ability to copy folders to my external hd. Version 9 does install and I'd be willing to use that if I can get the download and key for it. Odd that version 9 will install and version 10 won't... seems like the same interface and installer. dunno.

edit: I've already done the reboot, uninstall, reboot, etc routine....

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If it is only folders you want to copy, use XCopy with the appropriate switches - when files are updated it will also copy just the updated ones. This is much quicker and less prone to problems that True Image. True Image is great for doing whole disk images or clones.

3. theog

theog Registered Member

Short: does anyone know how to explain the steps acronis support wanted me to do? I'm very confused by step #2... support has still not answered my email.

Long: Thank you very much for the reply. It looks as if xcopy is not automated though; I'm looking for something that is automated.

What I am doing is working in one directory every day with many subfolders. I only need to backup this directory once a day at the end of the day.... I started using: Microsoft's snyctoy, but it does not removed deleted/moved folders. Snyctoy is great if you have a one folder with many files that change and you need to keep the files in snyc... more info: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

I've already tested the trial version 9 of acronis and it works great... version 10 does not install. In version 9 I'd do performing a full backup.... tested many times and it seems to work great... I'll stay away from incr or diff backups. I've used acronis since 2005 (have version 8 right now) and I test my backups once a month with a restore and so far (knock on wood) they have always worked.

Right now I can't backup the entire system every night... I do that once a week.. I have a little over 100 gb of data... takes much too long to perform an entire backup every day... I sleep very little.

I really wanted this fixed yesterday... oh, well... any help from the forum would be appreciated.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello theog,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Regarding step #2: Right after you run the installation file you have downloaded you see a selection screen. One of the choices is "Install Acronis True Image Home". You need to right-click on that entry, and select "Extract" option from the drop-down menu.
    The whole procedure is necessary to get the installation log that will let us investigate the reason Acronis True Image fails to install.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. theog

theog Registered Member

[Acronis #1034967]

Above is the number.

Thanks for responding to the post. I look forward to your reply and a fix.

6. theog

theog Registered Member

I went ahead and asked for a refund.

Support here has gone down the toilet. Version 10 seems to be fine for those that can install it, but I don't think there is a fix for those who can't install, per this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170333&page=2

Anyway, acronis support is tons slowler than I remember, so I've moved over to Roxio's product..

Sorry you guys are having so many issues with this product.... seems you might be better off getting more support staff.

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

This is perfect for XCopy - with an icon on the desktop you just have to 2-click it at the end of the day. Or, together with Windows Scheduler you can get the automation you want.

And the directory and files will be in native format.

8. theog

theog Registered Member

Thanks for the info... I already have a solution in place now.

It is really a shame what has happened to acronis true backup. I used to recommend that product all the time on forums, meetings, etc.... now I would not recommend it if my life depended on it.

Not really the fact that v 10 could not install... I'm sure they could have sent version 9, and then let me move to version 10 once I moved to vista and everything would have been fine.

No, it is the poor support or maybe I should say the lack of support. My gut feeling is they do not have enough support staff to handle the various issues with their products.

I hope they get it together....

Maybe they moved all the support to sales... sales seem to be the only focus with this company.

9. Acronis Support

Hello theog,

We are sorry for that you are not completely satisfied with the product and service you receive from Acronis Support Team. We always attempts to provide the best quality to our customers. We, therefore, find it very important that you inform us about this and we will most definitely work with the information you supply in order to improve the quality of support services.

We would appreciate if you give us the opportunity to assist you in solving the issue. As far as I can see from your correspondence with Acronis Support Team, you were not able to create the installation log file. Below you can find the detailed instructions along with screen shots on how to obtain the installation log file, which necessary for troubleshooting:

1) Double-click on the product installation file;

2) Right-click on the "Install Acronis True Image Home" button and select "Extract" (screen shot #1);

3) Select the path for extracting the component and click "Save" (screen shot #2);

4) Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name

Where msi-name is the path and name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to (screen shot #3);

4) Continue with the installation and reproduce the issue;

5) Collect the log file created during the installation.

If you still would like to proceed with the refund process, please inform Acronis Support Team via e-mail about that.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  10. theog

theog Registered Member

I sent the log file on sunday, June 10th at 2:01 pm.

I sent my refund request yesterday, after not hearing from you guys for days on end. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the PM, but it just goes to show that support here has went downhill.

In the PM, I appreciate you appologizing for support being slow... but you did not even address the question I had in my original PM... it seems that your company does not read messages, but "kicks some stuff out" so you can move on to the next customer. It is a shame.

If you would have bothered to read my PM, you would have noticed the support request # and been able to locate my log file. In addition, if you would have bothered to read my PM, you would have noticed that I'd been happy with v9 on xp as long as I had a free pass to v10 for when I move to vista in three or four months.

In other words, this could have been taken care of on Monday and I'd been a happy camper. But as it stands, you guys/gals are wasting a lot of time where you don't have to. I see why you are so far behind.

I'm not impossible, that is why I'd settle for v9 on my xp machine... I know you are busy... but when a customer provides you an "out" and you don't take it, and all support from the company does not exist, what else is the customer to do but seek a refund. Actually, I see us going down "charge back" lane on this transaction, so I'm prepared for that as well....

And why are you not sending me an email? Where are the support emails?

Email me, don't PM me in a forum....

This was my original PM for those who want to see it:

my_email@t*******.com

[Acronis #1034967]

Listen, if we can't get this to work, then just send version 9... but I'll still need a "free pass" to version 10 when I move over to vista in the next two to three months.

I only needed version 10 for vista and to backup some folders/files that I'm working on.... seems that v9 will do the same thing. All be the same thing and maybe the fastest way to get me going and you guys on to the next customer...

I would not care either way... long as it all works at the end....

Thanks....

11. Acronis Support

Hello theog,

Please note that I do read your PM and I do have access to all your correspondence with Acronis Support Team made via e-mail. As far as I can see you have sent the Windows System Information and two screen shots of the installation wizard. We did not receive the installation log from you. And from your e-mail correspondence and this thread I see that there were problems obtaining this log file. Thus, I have provided the instructions on how to obtain it. I can assure you that with the installation log file we will be able to solve the issue you experience.

Please also be aware that we guarantee 48 hours response via e-mail, however some times it may be a bit longer. We always try to decrease the response time and contact our customers as soon as possible.

In your case, since you are having problems with installing Acronis True Image 10.0 Home on Windows XP we can provide you with the version 9.0 of Acronis True Image Home with the free pass to version 10.0 when you move to Windows Vista. I will send you the instruction on how to obtain version 9.0 via e-mail.

However, please note that it is possible that you might have installation problems with version 9.0 and investigation still will be needed.

Thank you again for contacting Acronis.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. theog

theog Registered Member

Thanks. v9 works...

Far as support, I really hope you guys/gals get it together. Far as not having the file, I opened another ticket and asked if you guys/gals had the file... no response... that was on Monday.

I've recommended this company for years to just about everyone I know. I have relatives and friends who I setup backup plans using this software. This was my "go" with v10, but I'm glad it was me instead of someone else.

I'll have to take a pause in recommending your software and monitor how support handles requests from members on this forum... seems to me that your support options should be given an over-haul.

Even after I downloaded and tested that disaster, symantec file folder backup (or whatever it is called.. off-shot of ghost), I found that they have chat tech support... fairly decent thing... the interface of that product was terrible, and it installed some kind of "protection" that I could not uninstall... in addition, the product kept trying to upsell me to another product. Ahhh... all I wanted was a backup.... lol... but that is symantec... I'll stick with acronis for now... still worried and hope everything works out here... I really do wish you guys/gals the best.

13. davmail

davmail Registered Member

Yep,support is bad,I am back with ver.9 too,Acronis,why cant you fix this problem?

14. smythg

smythg Registered Member

I have had what appears to be the very same problem tryng to upgrade from v9 to 10.

I have submitted a support incident (#1080123) along with the log file from MSIEXEC.

15. smythg

smythg Registered Member

I heard back from support last week but was only able to try their suggestions at the weekend. They suggested:

1.Completely uninstall any previous version of Acronis True Image (including all the trial versions of the product). (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs).

2.Delete all files in \Documents and Settings\[Account Name]\Local Settings\Temp\ folder by running Disk Cleanup wizard from the system drive (e.g. C: ) Properties (remember to check the Temporary Files checkbox).

3.Download the utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install and run it.

4.Select the Acronis product you are trying to install and hit Remove.

5.Try installing the product again.

#1 and #3/4 were not applicable as TI was not listed. But after doing #2 I was able to install TI 10 successcully. :D

16. Acronis Support

Hello smythg,

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved and you can use Acronis True Image successfully.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.