Upgrade to Open Office 3.1 the easy way in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arup, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Thanks to dougfractal's post on softpedia copy the script below in a terminal, enter your password, type yes to all the prompts and you are all set to get OO 3.1

echo -e 'echo "#PPA openoffice-pkgs
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ppa.list

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 247d1cff
    gpg --export --armor 247d1cff | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo aptitude -y safe-upgrade
    sudo aptitude -y dist-upgrade
    ' > ./oooupgrade.sh
    sudo sh ./oooupgrade.sh && rm ./oooupgrade.sh

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Since we're on the subject...

Does anyone know how to upgrade to OOo 3.1 using the DEB packages provided for download at the OOo website? I prefer to be able to save the installers to disk for later reinstall, if possible.

Thanks.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Deb packages are not compiled for Ubuntu specifically so you need to remove existing OO and then go into the extracted OO 3.1 folder and do a sudo dpkg -i* You also need to go into the desktop-integration sub folder and do a sudo dpkg -i to get the OO icons on your applications>office list.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Aha. That was what I didn't do.

Will try this later tonight. Thanks.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I read somewhere, that it can be less hassle to do a full uninstall the existing OOO, then install from the PPA, not needing to run the upgrade scripts then.

Not knowing where this info is from, why the need for a dist-upgrade ?, if needed suggests updating libraries and/or adding and removing package, which may cause breakages (as with any dist-upgrade), in otherwords beware when running the above !

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Done on two machines, no breakages here and ubuntu-desktop remains, in case of removing OO, ubuntu-desktop gets removed. The dist upgrade is because OO3 needs new libraries.

7. NGRhodes

Cheers, I will installing it later :)

8. Arup

Arup Guest

After that just install oo package for evolution in case you use evolution with OO.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It just occurred to me that before I go ahead with zapping OOo 3.0 using Synaptic and installing 3.1 from the .deb packages, I probably should make a post asking if anyone's done this successfully.

From personal experience, the number of breakages that happen when updating software in Linux can be ridiculously high...

10. Arup

Arup Guest

You won't break anything that way either, just that you won't get any OO related updates as Ubuntu makes their updates available to their version of OO.

11. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Here we go again. Another dig at Linux disguised as plea for help. If you don't want to deal with breakage, don't attempt "bleeding edge" upgrades. If you wait for Ubuntu to release 3.1, you won't have any breakage.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Thanks. I intend to keep up with updates via .debs instead of the repos anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem.

13. NGRhodes

I got this error :

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 247d1cff
    gpg: requesting key 247D1CFF from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: can't open `/home/nick/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
    gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: eof
    gpg: no writable keyring found: eof
    gpg: error reading `[stream]': general error
    gpg: Total number processed: 0

Correct way to import the key (from https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA#Adding a PPA to your Ubuntu repositories) is

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0xd2bb86e0ebd0f0a43d4db3a760d11217247d1cff

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I grabbed the PGP key off the PPA site itself (https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/ archive/ppa). You might want to see if this works for you.

15. tlu

tlu Guest

I upgraded to 3.1 via the ppa without any problems a few days ago.

I don't know what you're doing. That doesn't happen to me.

16. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Doesn't happen to me either. Once in two years of heavy usage I've had a package break.

Just updated OO in seven minutes.

N1ckR's key worked a treat.

Nice work

17. Arup

Arup Guest

True, OO3.1 isn't an quintessential upgrade apart from few added features like anti aliasing and better drag n drop for images. For 3.1 to make it to the repos you have to wait for Karmic as Jaunty has a feautre freeze.

The ppa accounts are from Cannonical and therfore its not that some shady guy adding patches on the fly. Therefore they are pretty safe to use as is files from getdeb.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.