Upgrade question, XP to Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikheff, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikheff

nikheff Registered Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know--Vista? It's the intermediary step to installing Win 7 on my secondary PC. At any rate, during Vista install it created a "Windows.old" folder, which it said it was going to do during install. Is it safe or wise to delete this folder, and can it even be deleted? I'm guessing it's taking up a lot of hard drive space.

Help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe it's safe in the sense that Vista is not depending on it to work properly. I would wait a while, make sure everything is working properly, do a data backup, and image the disk.

Check Disk Cleanup to see if deleting the old OS files is a listed category. If so you can let the OS remove it. Otherwise I would turn off the recycle bin and delete it manually.

By the way, I always felt that Vista SP2 worked just fine. Windows 7 is an improvement, but only incrementally and mostly in the GUI.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'd agree with that in the main, although IMHO Vista eats a lot of RAM.

4. nikheff

nikheff Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm leaning towards your second sentence to "wait a while....." My data is on another drive, but I will make a system image with Acronis before doing anything.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

+1
    SP2 is a huge improvement over the original Vista and I can't say I've noticed a lot of difference in performance between it and 7 personally.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It can be deleted, but I agree with Victek123 you may as well wait for a while just in case you might need something. My best machine runs on Vista64 perfectly, I've tried Win 7 for a week, and it was basically the same OS, Vista uses a bit more RAM (550 MB Win 7, 650-700 Vista, both 32 bit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.