Upgrade from V.3.150 to V.3.405 doesn't work!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Wilpower, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilpower

Wilpower Registered Member

Has anyone else had trouble installing and running the new upgrade(builds)V.3.400-405?
    I have been running PG from the very beginning, and have had V.3.150 installed and functioning "perfectly" from the beginning.
    NOW, when I have tried to install the upgrade to V.3.400-405(builds) my OS simply Hangs, becomes unstable, won't get past programs loading, and cause a spike in CPU to 100% and remains at 100%. I am forced to 'shutdown' aggressively, uninstall the new version via "safemode".
    I then reinstall V.3.150 and all works perfectly!
    I have been working with Gavin on the issue for a number of weeks now, but with "no success"; the new upgrade version simply (and unexpectedly)is not compatible.
    I have followed all direction (super clean uninstall, delete existing PG folder etc). No Way. I've tried everything!
    I have unistalled V.3.150 and attempted to run the new versions no less then 14 attempts and nothing has worked.
    I think Gavin has given up on my issue as I have not had any response since the last 'failure' to install and successfully run the new builds.
    I simply don't get why upgrading from one version to the next has been literally impossible, and lets not forget the time, cleaning and defraging all these attempts has caused.
    Can anyone come up with a solution that works or will I be staying with V.3.150 forever o_O:cool:

2. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

What OS and other softwares are you using, and perhaps a silly question. Did you disable Process Guard protections first, then uninstall, then manually remove pghash.dat, pguard.dat from the system folder, then reboot and install?

3. Wilpower

Thanks for the input; I thought you were onto something, however no luck. Just the same result once V.3.405 is installed CPU spikes to 100% and OS hangs.Forced shutdown is required.
    Still no luck. Only version 3.150 runs without a hitch! Guess I'm locked into staying with the old version that works for me. MMmmmo_O
    Anyway, thanks for the thoughts FirePost.:thumb:
    :cool:

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

have u tried any other versions like 3.2 and 3.3?

5. Wilpower

No.
    Interesting thought :thumb: however not sure what difference that makes....if any.o_O
    I'm 'sure' Gavin would have mentioned something.

6. WSFuser

well it would be newer than 3.15 at least :D

if u need links, theyre in the forum somewhere.

7. Wilpower

Good of you to offer that information; I'll have to maybe go looking.:thumb:
    Question:
    How more "fundamentally secure" does the system become from one version to another?:doubt:
    thanks for all the input

8. WSFuser

ill provide this link so u wont have to search for the other versions.

as for being "fundamentally secure", PG wont change significantly for minor updates, but protection is sometimes enhanced. take these two changes for ProcessGuard v3.4 beta 1:

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I don't think you've replied to the question, what other security applications are running resident.

10. Wilpower

My oversight, OS> Windows XP Pro.
    Software programs=
    Diskeeper
    Trend Micro PC-cillan Internet Security 2006
    Task Info
    Memory Boost.
    I don't know, there doesn't seem to be any program that is incompatible with PG : well version 3.150 anyway!
    Thanks again to all. I gotta say, I have tried everything including the obvious, following the specific instructions for 'complete manual uninstall' of PG. laid out by Gavin in a posting back in 2004, where the issue was to use these instructions "if the install of an upgrade caused any abnormal "start-up" issues".
    :cool:

11. Wilpower

Thanks for the links. WSFuser:thumb:
    I'll try 3.2; who knows:cool:

12. Wilpower

WSFUSER you just may be on to something. Have installed v.3.2 and all seems to be fine. Go figure!:doubt:
    You wouldn't happen to have the link for v.3.3 Full version?
    I just see the beta.
    Good catch; we'll see:thumb: :cool:

13. WSFuser

the fourth beta was the last version for 3.3 i guess.

14. Wilpower

Well this has worked ok for my issue. I am now running v. 3.3beta4 and all is great!:D
    As far as the "Version Check" function> you are absolutely correct, it states there isn't a newer version.
    Interestingly, I have received Downloader for both v.3.4 and 3.405. When either of these versions are installed the problems begin, mostly hanging and high CPU spike to 100%.
    The "GUI Aspect of Proc." shows consuming 60-65%. What's up with thato_O?
    Anyway, good move up for me> Much Thanks:cool:

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This may not be directly related to your problem with PG v 3.405, but using a registry cleaner after each uninstallation, it will make it easier and sometimes even necessary before an upgrade or a new installation.

I use RegSupreme Pro from Macecraft (costs about 16$)

http://www.macecraft.com/ but there are others of course, free and paying, http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

The only thing to watch out with these tools is that sometimes they might delete registry entries that are important for other things. Most of these programs will backup the entries before deletion, so if you get a problem you can always restore the missing entries.

16. Wilpower

Yeh, I do that too. excellent process.
    Back to v.3.405 and the "GUI Aspect of Proc." consuming 60% of CPU resources. That's not righto_O
    I use Task Info which allows to monitor/view processes and CPU usuage. No problems with v.3.3b4.
    What is going on with the GUI Aspect of Proc. and why would it be hanging?:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.