Updating trial version's virus databases requires password

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by travan, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travan

travan Registered Member

I've installed the trial version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus two days ago, and it is still unable to update it's virus definitions database. Tells me the following:

Virus signature database could not be updated
    Invalid Username and/or Password

The related fields in the setup are blank, of course - it is a trial version. At first I thought it is a transient server-side glitch that will be fixed soon, but the message is still there and the database it still stale. So, is there any way to look how the software works before purchasing it? Running it with outdated virus databases hardly makes any sense. A pity, because the first impression was positive.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Perhaps unistall and re-install a new Trial version for 30 days

Once you have successfully run the trial, you may upgrade from the trial version to the full version

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. travan

travan Registered Member

You mean I should manually reinstall this software every time the virus signature database is updated, effectively several times per day? Can't call it a user-friendly evaluation process, honestly. Guess it would be easier to try something else.

Or maybe, there is a trial license or something like that? I just can't believe the developers intended it to be this way.

4. Hollowstriker

Hollowstriker Registered Member

I believe siljaline meant to ask you to try reinstalling the software once to fix the temporary glitch. I have used the trial before on many machines, and to what I am aware of, the Username and Password field are pre-populated with a trial licence for you that is good for 30 days.

Caveats:
    1. There seems to be an issue at times, like the one that you've described where machines even with a properly entered (paid) username and password are prompted with "Invalid Username and/or Password". This is usually fixed by clearing the update cache, manually re-entering the username/password, or cleanly reinstalling the ESET software (once).

2. On trial versions that I've used, the update process appears to be significantly slower than the paid version's updates. The reason for this, I believe, would be that paid versions' updates are given more priority as compared to trial versions, as one may expect.

5. siljaline

As Hollowstriker indicated the trail software username and password are pre-populated - once the trial expires, you would have to enter your purchased username and password in the license details field.

I don't believe there are any caveats that I am aware of in running a trial over a purchased build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. travan

travan Registered Member

Ok, thank you both for your help. I've reinstalled the thing. The username and password fields are still empty, but the program managed to update its database successfully. Odd. I'll post if/when it glitches again, the situation makes me curious.

7. siljaline

You mean, you have installed another trial build and the username and password fields are blank but you are able to update successfully. I find this as interesting as you do since there clearly should be some information visible in this field, without this, you will not be able to continue to update on a scheduled basis.

You might call ESET (USA) 1-866-343-3738 or you local reseller.

8. travan

travan Registered Member

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5816/nod32h.png

Straining my old brain with speaking English because of it would be too much hassle, honestly. If the program decides to be kinky once more, I'll just uninstall it forever. Will post the result here first in case you are interested in it.

9. siljaline

Yes, I and others would be most interested to know why a trial build with no data in the username and password field is updating and working successfully.

Would that be a correct statement that your trial software is working with blank username and password fields as per the screenshot you uploaded to imageshack ?

10. travan

travan Registered Member

True. It has just updated the database again, the current version is 5417 (20100902). The username and password fields are still blissfully blank.

Actually, it is exactly how I expected it to work from the start. See no reason to use any dummy license info for trial versions. Maybe the developers just changed the procedure several days ago? According to the site, the 4.2.64.12 program version is rather new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.