Updating S3 ProSavage Drivers help needed, thank you.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm going to update my graphics drivers. the Nvidia drivers i asked about the other day were for someone else.

can you tell me if you think these are the best drivers i should install? thanks

Video Card : S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR

Model : 86C420 ProSavage DDR

Driver Version : 6.14.10.0025-13.94.25

Northbridge : Via VT8751

this is what i have found, it's much harder to find then the Nvidia drivers i found the other day. anyway, do these look OK to you?
    http://www.s3graphics.com/drivers/Legacy/8D04ProSavageDDR_420drv/420drv.html

how should i install them? can it be done in safe mode? or should i just disable as much as possisble in normal mode - AV, MSAS etc? and then install over the top of the last ones so i can do a rollback, or is it better to uninstall and make a restore point beforehand? thanks.

if there's any more info you need please let me know, i'm trying to get this install to last as long as possible, so far this is the longest i have managed. :)

Note to me when installed check in PC Wizard that 32MB of memory is being used.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, i just found the same driver at the viaarena site. it's the correct driver.
    directions for installation:
    To install the driver, save any unsaved work and close all applications then click on the driver download link (above). Choose the "Save File" option and save it to your folder under Windows where you file your drivers. Unzip the file. (To unzip the file right click and highlight "Extract All") Then double click on the Setup.exe file to run the installation program. Follow the prompts and restart at the end of the installation.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1160&SubCatID=112

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i found these really good instructions for updating my drivers. sometimes there are problems during the update. when you run the .exe, it expands, then runs it's own installer, it's installer can be troublesome. i just let it unpack the folder and files then stopped it and followed these instructions. i'll put them here incase anyone else ever needs to update Pro Savage Drivers.

i've missed out afew of the less important stuff, the main part was to stop your AV, AT, AS. and disconnect from the internet incase XP tries to download the drivers, and don't let it reboot and install.

6.) (These instructions are for a typical WinXP system. The Windows2000 procedure is very similar.)
    Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE > SYSTEM > HARDWARE (tab) > DEVICE MANAGER > DISPLAY ADAPTERS and expand and select the specific graphic adapter. Depending upon whether you are installing over the existing driver, or, have rebooted after first uninstalling the old driver, what you see here in terms of a description will vary.

7.) Once highlighted, click on ACTION on the toolbar, and on the resulting drop-down menu, select "Update Driver." This will start the "Hardware Update Wizard." Click on "Install from a list or specific location(Advanced)." Then, click on "Next."

8.) On the next window, namely "Please choose your search and installation options", click on "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." Click on "Next."

9.) Now we are on the "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware" dialog. Click on the "Have Disk" button.

10.) The "Install From Disk" dialog will pop up. Use the "Browse" button to navigate to the folder that contains the uncompressed video driver files you wish to install. (I told you before to remember what it was called and where it was...) Windows will be looking for an ".inf" file, and in the case of the ProSavageDDR drivers this is most often named "ps5333.inf" or "pswu.inf" or some variant of those two. Once you locate it, highlight it, and on the resulting menu, then click "Open."

11.) The "Install From Disk" dialog will reappear, and should now contain the path to the folder from which you selected the ps5333.inf or pswu.inf file from. If it does, click on "OK" and you *should* have the driver install without incident.

this is stuff about my chipset incase i need it again.

S3 ProSavageDDR integrated graphics
    Chipset Name :p4M266
    North Bridge Part number or name :VT8751
    Graphics Device ID :8D04

it didn't fix the things i hoped though :(

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Hi Ice,

I uninstall the drivers for the card. Then I delete the INF files for the card that are located in the INF folder at the system root (C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINNT). So for your S3 card, there is probably 3 or 4 INF files int the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder that begin with S3. I would open up those INF file with a text editor (Notepad) identify the one for your card. I would then delete the file and reboot the system. Whe the system boots up, it will not beable to use the INF file to find the old drivers. So it will treat your card as a plain VGA card. Your desktop will appear as though you are in safemode, when in fact you are not. Then I would install the new drivers per instructions.

Another way is to use Driver Cleaner. I just used it for the first time. It works great:

http://drivercleaner.net/dc.htm

Close

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, CL, it says at the top of the screen that there's a new version out, a Pro version, that's also free. :p http://drivercleaner.net/ i wonder if the driver uninstaller is any better? or if it is just bloat o_O

it looks like an install though, and i don't want to install anything else. so i like the manual way best, but, i've already installed it. not sure what to do.

6. Close_Hauled

Ice,

This here is my prefered method. I do this when I can. Extract the files, and manually install just the drivers, without the crap that comes with the installer. Simple is always better.

Please go over again what exactly the problem is. I am not to clear as to what the issue is.

Close

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

EDIT opps, this is edit number 3. i'm getting confused with another thread i started about different drivers on a different computer.

i have no driver problem, i just wanted to update my drivers. thanks for the help :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  8. Close_Hauled

Ice,

Coould you please, without risking your privacy, post a screen shot of the context menu? It could be that there is something in the menu that is slow for the system to find. It could be a mapped network drive, or some network resource. It could be a file or application that is no longer on your hard drive. So a screen shot would be helpful.

Close

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK you saw one of my edits, this is alittle embarrassing, i think i have the most things on the context menu ever. i just had a quick go and it's taking longer then ever. i'm going to right-click a folder then go and make a cup of tea. :D
    i'll post back in a few minutes.

10. Close_Hauled

No worries. I am on the same page now... I think! :p

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

well, as you saw that edit, i'll ask. does anyone know an easy way to disable, and then re-enable, things on the context menu other then ShellExView it didn't work for me, even after logging off/on.

and how to deal with a context menu problem? there's a conflict and it takes a long time to open when i right-click on a folder. i have tried using the Windows classic theme and updated drivers. i'm going to try disabling my AV, filemon and a few other things i can't think off now.

here are the things displayed when i right-click a folder.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.