Updating program compontents to build 3.0.684

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by chrizio, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrizio

chrizio Guest

New v.3 build was released: 3.0.684
    My NOD32 installation is set to asking before downloading program components.
    However, NOD32 doesn't reports any updates of program components.
    Why must it be so?

How is the procedure for installing the new build?

I didn't find any option/button to start checking for program updates manually.
    Why must it be so?

What happens if after having selected "Always update program components"?
    Will NOD32 automatically install v.4 and this version only?
    That's not my intention.

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello Chrizio,

The difference between different builds of v3 (.669 to .672 or .672 to .684) is small and you are only recommended to download and install the latest build number if you are having problems with the build of v3 you are currently using. As long as you are using v3 (the latest version - I know v4 is out but it's a brand new release and still has many bugs in it) and it's working normally then there's no reason to update to the absolute latest build of v3. The difference between the builds is usually just minor fixes to glitches only a handful of users may be experiencing. For these reasons, ESET doesn't push these build updates as mandatory auto updates.

Thus, if you want to update to the latest build to resolve issues you are having that were resolved in later builds, you must manually download and install the latest build of v3 from ESET's website.

You can either install it over the top which usually works or play it safe and completely remove it before reinstalling.

Completely remove v3:
    • Start>All Programs>ESET>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>Uninstall.
    • Delete the INFCACHE.1 file located in C:\WINDOWS\inf folder.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Delete the ESET folder in C:\Program Files, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET, and
      C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\ESET
    ESET's Knowledgebase article on how to remove EAV/ESS

If there is ever a major glitch that the majority of users experience, the fix for it will be considered a program component update so all users will get it automatically.

You will not be automatically upgraded to v4. You must install v4 over v3 or uninstall v3 and then install v4, pretty much the same procedure as upgrading to the newest build (as detailed above).

Please let me know if this answers your questions or if I can clarify anything for you!

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Thanks for your exhausting answers.
    However, some your statements are irritating for me.

Let us then see what the change log tells:
    December 18, 2008 - 3.0.684
    stability and security fixes

The producer of security solutions claims security fixes were minor updates.
    That's interesting. Should I verify my decision regarding brands of my security-related tools?

In what a sense is clean install the playing it save?
    For what reasons can it be necessary.
    Me and surely most of users don't want to must to personalize/configure
    their's AV solution upon its every update.
    For most users the AV solution is just a tool. Nothing more. Not the sense
    of theirs lives. The overhead in usage must be minimal. So please understand that my goal is quick update without configuring it from the scratch.

So, NOD32 will never offer you next main release in scope of automatic updates? That's good!
    It should be some button available for starting the update procedure,
    without having to download and run the installer manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.