updating problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ju_c, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ju_c

ju_c Registered Member

Hi

I feel a bit embarrassed to have to ask such a basic question, but my Dad uses ESET Smart and I have never seen it before..he is in his 70s and I tend to talk him through any pc problems he is having. But I can't work this out!

His windows system has spotted that his anti virus protection etc is out of date and tells him to update.
    I have managed to get him to open ESET but there seems to be no way to update! The virus signature database shows as up-to-date, but where can I get him to update the other stuff?? I am working blind really as I don't know the screens, but I have used other software and presume that it works similarly. I had a look on youtube for some info but it only shows installation rather than what should be a simple update!

He is only on version 3 from what I can tell.

Any ideas of what I am missing or will this require someone to do more in-depth work to get him back on track?

Many thanks for any help.
    J

2. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

hi :)

my first thought is that if your dad is only on v3 then click here and download v5. that's the most up-to-date version available right now.

from what i understand, updating to v5 doesn't require an uninstal of the existing version [ie, that which is currently running on your dad's computer]

your dad's computer might require a windows update as well.

good luck; you've come to the right place :)

3. BellaBoo

oh, he needs to have a current subscription too!

also, let the forum know the details about your dad's computer; windows platform, operating system etc [eg, have a look in my signature space]. that's always very helpful for the boffins so they know what they're dealing with.

again, good luck :)

4. ju_c

ju_c Registered Member

Thank you! Yes, it makes sense that he has a newer version and the next thing will be to see if he knows his username and password lol :blink:

So was I right about there not being a way to update anti virus from the ESET user interface? o_O Just wondering if I was going mad or not!

Many thanks for your quick response.
    J

5. BellaBoo

you're welcome :) i'm glad to have helped in such a little way!

i hope it's all worked out now.

i can't recall with earlier versions whether there was a facility to update via the interface, but with v5, there is a facility to check that you have the most current version [and i'm guessing that if you don't, then it will provide [or point to] a means to update the AV].

as long as your dad's computer is connected to the internet, signature [protection] updates are delivered automatically to ensure that the AV software is kept current.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.