updating problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ju_c, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ju_c

ju_c Registered Member

Hi

I feel a bit embarrassed to have to ask such a basic question, but my Dad uses ESET Smart and I have never seen it before..he is in his 70s and I tend to talk him through any pc problems he is having. But I can't work this out!

His windows system has spotted that his anti virus protection etc is out of date and tells him to update.
    I have managed to get him to open ESET but there seems to be no way to update! The virus signature database shows as up-to-date, but where can I get him to update the other stuff?? I am working blind really as I don't know the screens, but I have used other software and presume that it works similarly. I had a look on youtube for some info but it only shows installation rather than what should be a simple update!

He is only on version 3 from what I can tell.

Any ideas of what I am missing or will this require someone to do more in-depth work to get him back on track?

Many thanks for any help.
    J

2. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

hi :)

my first thought is that if your dad is only on v3 then click here and download v5. that's the most up-to-date version available right now.

from what i understand, updating to v5 doesn't require an uninstal of the existing version [ie, that which is currently running on your dad's computer]

your dad's computer might require a windows update as well.

good luck; you've come to the right place :)

3. BellaBoo

oh, he needs to have a current subscription too!

also, let the forum know the details about your dad's computer; windows platform, operating system etc [eg, have a look in my signature space]. that's always very helpful for the boffins so they know what they're dealing with.

again, good luck :)

4. ju_c

ju_c Registered Member

Thank you! Yes, it makes sense that he has a newer version and the next thing will be to see if he knows his username and password lol :blink:

So was I right about there not being a way to update anti virus from the ESET user interface? o_O Just wondering if I was going mad or not!

Many thanks for your quick response.
    J

5. BellaBoo

you're welcome :) i'm glad to have helped in such a little way!

i hope it's all worked out now.

i can't recall with earlier versions whether there was a facility to update via the interface, but with v5, there is a facility to check that you have the most current version [and i'm guessing that if you don't, then it will provide [or point to] a means to update the AV].

as long as your dad's computer is connected to the internet, signature [protection] updates are delivered automatically to ensure that the AV software is kept current.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.