updating kubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

This may seem a silly question but it will be my first time to upgrade a Linux System.
    I am using easyBCD to dual boot.The grub is installed in the same partition where Linux is installed.When I upgrade Kubuntu from 9.04 to 10.01 I think the grub will be updated too.Is there any chance of grub changing place(to the first partition) while updating? Is there anything I should be aware of during the update?

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Your other OS won't be affected by the grub, it inherits your past settings.

3. cet

cet Registered Member

I hope it does.
    http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6181 after reading this page I am not sure what to do.If I have to fresh install every 6 months when a new version is out ,that means windows is easier than linux to use,I do not format windows every 6 months.
    I wish there was an option to check during the upgrade to install grub in the same partition of Linux.

4. linuxforall

Cet,

LTS Ubuntu is supported for 3 years, no need for every six month install, although its not bad to read about your OS of choice, its better to read and discern between right and wrong. The thread talks about update grub after manual grub edit, something one shouldn't be doing unless he or she has full knowledge on how to. For 10.04 LUCID LTS, I would strongly suggest clean install and then wait for the next three years for newer update.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for the answer.I thought I had to install the update every 6 months.So I will not update the LTS version but only update the security patches and bugs?
    I have read some pages and from those I thought that when I upgrade the Linux version and the kernel the grub is automatically upgraded too.So I am happy to learn now if I upgrade my settings will not be changed.
    I will follow your advice and do a clean install(Should I install it on the 29th or wait for some time).I will have to go through the formatting part again,but this time I think it will be better for me to install Ubuntu.I love Kubuntu, but from my experience I think using Ubuntu is easier because when I search something on internet there are more sources for Ubuntu.

6. linuxforall

Nope just dont do any manual grub editing without understanding the intricacies. Go ahead and install it on 29th, you will be getting updates till next three years after this so no issues, in case you need something latest, there are PPAs for it.

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Here is the release schedule ... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

8. cet

cet Registered Member

So I want to make it clear: I will have the LTS version 10.04 and I will update only bugs.When it says do you want to update to 10.10 I will choose ''no'',I will only update when there is another LTS version.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

See screenshot - you won't get update release reminders if you select 'Long term support releases only' 10.04 will not update you to a new release and is fully supported till end April 2013... ( security and bug wise). So 10.04 will only show an update for another LTS.

Software Sources.png

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  10. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you very much.Now everything is clear.Next week I will install Ubuntu.

11. linuxforall

As Ocky says, it won't ask until a next LTS release.

12. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello

please also check this

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

mint tutorial explains how to upgrade to a newer release

its just here to give an idea

i had done Package upgrades ubuntu 8.04 till 9.04 no problem

right now i am using mint so looking forward to try on mint 8 to 9 if it fails then or give trouble i do fresh install but before that i backup my drive and try upgrade

also please check if you does apt-upgrade via net your net will not be disconnected during the update or you lose everything need to do fresh install then

ubuntu and kubuntu are same but the main difference is kde and gnome look and feel if you install ubuntu and you feel that you like kubuntu more you can install kde in ubuntu from Package kit it make you feel like kubuntu when you login in session in kde before login and if you want to solve any problem you dont understand in kde (kubuntu mode) you can go to session gnome mode and login..... it will give you ubuntu mode (gnome mode)

in short all difference between kubuntu/ubuntu is mostly of look and feel of desktop environment kde/gnome but in reality both are same at CLI mode

for kde and gnome please check this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE
    http://www.kde.org/

http://www.gnome.org/

LTS version it will update for 3 years new kernel.... bugs fixes security updates.........etc

but what it doesn't do is no update of version i mean if you running kde 4.4 or gnome 2.30 then its same look and feel .....etc ......for 3 years but if you do upgrade then its will get the new one of future version

like you are running xp with updates but it wont become window 7

in upgrade it become window 7

i mean in term of linux it will change to higher version during upgrade

13. linuxforall

Yep basically if you wish, you get to try out a new distro with new features, looks, feel every six months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.