Updating from trial licence to paid up licence

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sterlingtimes, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingtimes

sterlingtimes Registered Member

I used a trial licence for a few days, and then bought a full copy from Amazon UK because it was much cheaper than the Acronis Shop copy.

I installed the Amazon copy over the top of the trial copy.

When I open Acronis, it still tell me that I have xx days of the trail left and do I want to buy a copy. So it appears as a trial copy, however, when I look in help/ about it shows my licensed serial number.

How do I regularise this situation?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The first thing to do is to register your purchased copy with Acronis. Once you have signed up you will be able to download the latest build. There was a recent update for Version 10 to build No. 4940 and it is unlikely that your bought copy would be so up to date.

The next step would be to uninstall the mongrel version that you have on your computer. A simple Add/Remove may be enough to clear the decks though you may possibly have to do a more complete uninstall so keep a copy of the latest installation file.

Then install the latest build and check help about for the correct build number and your registered serial number.

For future reference it is probably best to uninstall before installing a new build. These are complete programs and an uninstall only takes a few moments. Any schedules or archives you have prepared will be preserved.

Xpilot

3. mk_sound

mk_sound Registered Member

Hello, I have the same problem. Were exactly can I see or enter the serial number ?

Martin

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The serial number will be on or in the packaging of a retail pack. If bought as a download it will be in the invoice /confirmation email.
    Once registered it can be found by logging in to the Acronis site on the right hand side of the page and open updates. All your serial numbers will be listed by version.
    When you open TI and get to the Acronis help about screen your build number is shown at the top and the serial number right at the bottom of the screen (It is rather small)

If a normal uninstall and reinstall does not solve your problem there are several articles on how to do a complete clean uninstall. As I have never had to do one I will not try to advise further.

Xpilot.

5. sterlingtimes

I appreciate you help efforts. But I haven't been unable to move forward.

I tried to install the paid for disk copy of Acronis 10 over the top of the Acronis 10 Trial copy.

I just cannot get out of trial mode. However, the about screen is showing my serial number and the latest build of Acronis.

The Acronis instructions told me not to remove the old version: "the new version will simply update it" - said Acronis.

I cannot remove using add/remove: "The system administrator has set policies to prevent the installation" and then "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Acronis True Image Home please contact your administrator". I thought that I was logged in already as the administrator on my home machine.

I have registered with Acronis and that works.

I am also able to install as administrator for the paid for disk and from the downloaded lastest version.

My concern now is what happens when the trial runs out in 8 days' time.

I presume that I will have a locked product and still will not be able to bump it out of trial mode.

I should appreciate you guidance.

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You have to uninstall the Trial Version first. You can't install the purchased version over the trial. Then install the latest purchased version you have and enter the serial number.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

mk_sound,

I've posted a reply in your <other thread>.

sterlingtimes,

Have a look at my reply in mk_sound's thread regarding manual uninstall instructions.

Regards

8. sterlingtimes

Thank you all.

I have now resolved this after many hours, so this is for the benefit of others in the future.

I had to turn User Account Control off and then reboot such that a red shield with a cross in it is displayed to the right of the taskbar.

I then went to add/remove program to uninstall Acronis. This says that its configuring and removing.

I then went into programs and removed as many Acronis files as possible using a simple delete. There is one *.exe file that cannot be deleted.

Then I reinstalled and entered the new serial number again.

It seems that a simple uninstall doesn't work.

I think that now I'm home and dry.

Thank you all contributors for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.