updating BIOS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jag1967, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Hi All

Apologies if this is a little OT, but I'd like some opinions

I'm about to do a XP reinstall and wondered if it's necessary to update my BIOS. Some places I've read says if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as an update can introduce new problems or even screw up the m/b. Others say, keep the BIOS updated as less chance of potential conflicts in the future etc.

Any views?

regards
    jag

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I have had my system for two years and over this time I have had to do two reformats and have never updated my bios at all and have had no conflicts or problems with anything, including my system.
    At the end of the day the choice is yours, but there is a risk I suppose in any upgrade, so I have just stayed with the set up I have.

Your friend

:D THE MUL :D

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I'm in the same shoes as the Mul, though I have the update saved. If you don't have problems, good. If your interested,
    you might want to research the information that pertains to your system from the manufacturer.

Don't hesitate to use google and read up a bit to see some of the pitfalls involved. Just use discretion and common sense, you should be OK.

GF

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have never updated a bios on one of comps. I did a couple when I had my repair shop, but only when I was doing a major upgrade.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Thanks for the input BigC, much appreciated.

GF

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

BIOS updates have readme files with version history and bug fixes. If the fixes don't affect you, it's not necessary to upgrade. For me, the BIOS on my desktop and laptop have been updated four times in the past year. I installed all without any problems.

Nick

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

The time for BIOS updates is when you first get / build your new computer. That is the time the integrated subsystems will have glitches and incompatibilities. Go to the manufacturers forum or website and find out what versions fix what problems. Update if it is something you are likely to run into.

But since you are doing a reinstall, these issues should already have be resolved by now or they would have already reared their ugly head of problems long ago.

8. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Thanks guys for the wise words!

I did build my pc over a year ago. Thinking back, I needed to use a s/w fix for the bios to recognise my seagate sata drive. I'll check with asus m/b to see if this has now been updated in the bios. If so, then I reckon an update on the bios will be worthwhile

I must admit, it's easy to confuse a bios update, with a general s/w (or even driver) update that one usually does when available.

regards
    jag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.