Updating 4.2 with 4.2 installed

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by genegold, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genegold

genegold Registered Member

I updated from 4.1 to 4.2 the other day. Every time since then when I check for updated rules with 4.2, it returns the message that a new version is available and can only be downloaded from the website. Usually, a message like that suggests the current version is not being seen, but 4.2 is what's in Program Files and being loaded. That makes me wonder if there's a bug in the updater's response within 4.2. Shouldn't it say it's up to date or no new updates are available?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

When you run SpywareBlaster, what version does it say in the bottom-left corner of the window?

I suspect the installer may not have properly replaced the old version on your system, as we haven't had other reports of this problem.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. genegold

4.1. I didn't notice that. Strange, because there are no 4.1 files in the program's main folder and I don't find any SB files elsewhere. Should I uninstall/reinstall?

4. javacool

Hi,

Yes, please grab a fresh copy from one of the links here:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload_setup.html

Before running the installer, please ensure SpywareBlaster is closed. Then run the freshly-downloaded installer, and you should be good to go. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. genegold

I installed on top and it worked this time. Btw, how does one know if SB (free) is running? The information about the program says that it is, but I've never found any direct evidence of it on my computer. From where does it load? Where is/are the running file(s)? Thanks,

Gene

6. genegold

Bad news. Went to check updates tonight and the '4.2' had reverted to 4.1 (lower left corner) and update prompted me to download the new version, although in the SB folder the application says version 4.2.0.0.

Given that I've installed the update three times now, including at one or two uninstalls first, I don't think a fresh copy is the problem. Perhaps the problem is closing SpywareBlaster (free)? I have no idea how to do that, since I can't find anything that loads it or any indication that it's loaded. What next?

7. javacool

Hi,

There's no way for the version to just revert like that - it sounds like you also have an older version (4.1) of SpywareBlaster installed somewhere else on your system. And, in this case, I suspect the shortcut you're using to run SpywareBlaster points to the old version and not the new 4.2 version you installed.

(If you browse directly to the SB folder where the "spywareblaster.exe" has version 4.2.0.0 listed, and double-click directly on that spywareblaster.exe, you should see the new 4.2 release load up.)

It may be as simple as just deleting an incorrect shortcut and creating a new one pointing to the 4.2.0.0 "spywareblaster.exe". :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. genegold

You're right. The target was going to the backup drive for some reason - and refused to change. It's strange, tho, since the backup drive's copy should have been current. In any case, that problem is solved and there is no reason to backup SB. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.