updates?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by -z3r0-, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

How often does nod32 update its files?

I am having a hard time decideing between this and ksapersky for AV protection.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As needed. I've had six updates in a day. MOST of the time, once a day. There are times you may two or three days without an update.
    NOD's heuristic engine is the best there is and will stop unknown viruses before a definition is available in most cases.

3. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

How does it do with worm and trojon detection? I know that isnt its main goal but is it supported at all?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD is good with both worms and viruses. More recently with trojans as well.
    You can scan through the updates section and see many trojans listed.
    They have also added potentially dangerous apps such as keyloggers, spyware, etc.

updates

5. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

So it ranks right up with Kaspersky in terms of defense now?

I know some of the reviews I have read always had Kaspersky as #1 but I havent found anything real recent.

Plus as a gamer I like how NOD32 isnt a resource hog.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

Does that IMON HTTP Scanner come with NOD32 or is something you have to buy seperate?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

Thanks now I just really confused myself big time.

I was reading the reports HERE

And it seems like Kaspersky was best in everything but the latest test. Does that mean that NOD32 has now surpassed everybody in terms of protection or is it just in the current test for new stuff?

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD is one the best antivirus programs out there.

11. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

So it isnt as bad as some of the reports make it out to be?

I guess virus protection is like everything else everyone has there opinions and defend it even if the other one is good too.

12. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

Virus programs are hard to rate in terms of 'which is best' because the virus world is constantly changing. One test will show x and y virus scanners as providing poor results against a given set of viruses, while z virus program protects against all. However, a different set of viruses could turn the tables dramatically.

There is no doubt that Kaspersky is one of the best AV scanners out there, but your needs will dictate what you will eventually purchase. NOD32 is lighter on resources, has great heuristics and definition updates are frequent. For a gaming machine, I would go with NOD32. If I was overly concerned with virus protection, and not so much with resources, I would probably go with Kaspersky. I've been told it has a much deeper scan than NOD and it's reputation is rock solid.

Honestly though, I really don't think you could go wrong with either. The main point is that you are running an AV of some sort on your machine. If everyone did this, the virus problem would almost go away over night.

Neil

13. -z3r0-

-z3r0- Registered Member

I am currently running a virus scanner and I have never had a problem. I have do online checks just to make sure and there seems to be nothing getting by but worries me is it has never found anything. I would have a better sense of security if it picked something up sometime.

14. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

Start surfing the nasty sites :)

Neil

15. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I've had Nod32 for about 4-5 years and it has not let me down yet

16. ChaosBlizzard

ChaosBlizzard Registered Member

I have been working with Computers for 7 years now. During that time I have tested dozens of security applications including AV. Thus far, I believe NOD32 to be the very best I have tested. I love how it's written in assembly. It starts up before any other program in the system.

It's stopped numerous dropper trojans for me via HTTP. So yes, I believe it's trojan protection to be high. Even though I wouldn't be mad if it wasn't, as a trojan is not in the same feild as a virus...

Also, I get updates everyday with NOD32.. I would rather have a small update a day then a large update at the end of the week such as Norton does. This gives your system a larger grace time for danger if you have to wait a week for a large update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.