updates

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by greyowl, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

I am considering using SpywareBlaster. I have a dialup connection so it is slow in downloading. How large is the daily update approximately?

I use Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript. Will Spyware Blaster provide much added protection?

2. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

yes..........

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

With regard to your first question, SB def updates are typically once every week or two, not daily. And they're quite small, typically in the 25-50K range depending on number of new items, so are a snap even on dialup. Don't forget to enable all protection before shutting SB down after the update.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Since SpywareBlaster have been more regular with their updates I have had far less tracking cookies. I usually do a SUPERAntiSpyware scan every month & sometimes don't find any tracking cookies at all these days.

Until a few days ago I had MBAM as an on-demand scanner as well. After using it for about 13 months I have decided to uninstall it. I have SpywareBlaster, SAS & Windows Defender (as well as AV & a hardware firewall) & I regularly surf with K-Meleon with the javascript disabled (F7 toggles it on/off in KM). So I think that I am well covered. I was getting a little worried about MBAM's updating gremlins & false positives anyway.

5. greyowl

Daveski17,

Thanks for explaining your approach. I have a few questions. Do you use SAS for on-demand or realtime protection. What is the frequency and size of the SAS updates? What AV do you use?

Thanks for the help.

6. greyowl

Dave,

I use Firefox with adblock and no script. I am curious of the advantages that you find with K-Melon. Does K-Melon have ad block and no script?

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

If I may jump in ... SAS updates are at least once daily, occasionally more than one, and are typically around 3 megs (full replacement database, rather than incremental updates which I'd love to see from them).

I don't know if others experience this, but when I update SAS (and MBAM), for some reason each leaves a copy in temp internet files, according to Disk Cleanup, which needs removed.

I've got the free version (no realtime protection) and do an on-demand scan once a week, so normally don't bother updating until just before I'm ready to scan.

8. Daveski17

I am using the freeware SAS & as far as I know it doesn't have much in the way of realtime protection unless you buy the 'Pro' vendor version. I do an on-demand scan approx every 30 days, it takes around an hour.

There is a systems tray icon with the freeware version but I am not sure what that really represents. I think that their site says it all better than I can. I am seriously thinking of buying the 'Pro' version. I really do recommend it. It updates roughly every 8 hours & with the freeware version you have to do this manually. It doesn't take long though (couple of minutes if that) I am not sure exactly how big the updates are but they aren't big. It upgrades every 3 - 4 months as well. The whole process is quick & painless & a systems tray pop-up informs you of this.

I like SAS, it has never been problematical & it removed a trojan that I had picked up in Russian newspaper websites I was surfing with SeaMonkey's translator last November. Norton & Spybot missed this. I don't use either of those now & I get McAfee now with my ISP.

9. Daveski17

K-Meleon has an inbuilt adblocker in 'Tools' on the menu bar. It also has a user-agent changer. There may be a NoScript available as an extension but it is very easy to toggle the JS on/off with F7. I find it much lighter & faster on my laptop than Firefox. However, as it is open source, & the dev team is not huge, at the moment it employs a slightly older version of Gecko. This will be rectified soon however.

10. greyowl

I thank everyone for the help and information and clarification of these issues.

This is very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.