updates not working

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by papa33600, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papa33600

papa33600 Registered Member

Since this afternoon, I get an errror message while trying to update
    my virus signatures. Anyone else has the same problem?

Thanks,
    papa33600

2. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Yes, me...:doubt:

ESS version 3.0.630.0 Dutch on XP SP2
    Everything was fine after update 2852.

Now i get an error about the file download.

Clean install on 2 different machines with different licenses did not solve the problem.

Did send a detailed report to support.

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

Try to clear update cache (Enter entire advanced setup tree -> Update).

:thumb:

4. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

I did.
    Also a clean install (and removed all ESET folders) did not solve it.
    Seems to me the download of the files is good, error appears on installing.

No problem with NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.630.0 here.

5. Handries

Handries Registered Member

How do you go about that, since I'm having the same problem with version 630.
    In a case like this it would be nice if ESET allowed a manual download of the latest virus definition file from their web site just like Symantec.

6. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

It is way of Eset to protect before copying their products. ;)

7. Handries

This still does not help me, as my definitions are only updated with version 2851, since then I have been getting this download error message, while I have a permanent cable connection.
    Hopefully ESET will solve this problem soon, as I am concerned about not being fully protected right now.:'(

8. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

I had this problem and restart helped me. (but I didn't get error message)

9. Handries

A restart did not help me either, it's still not possible to update to the latest signatures.
    Before I installed version 630 I was using the English version 566 and I never had any update problems with that one.

10. BeBizzy

BeBizzy Registered Member

Dear Handries,

What language do you use now?

And you Papa33600? Wich language do you use?

Three of my clients (dutch ESS) mailed me today about the same problem.:thumbd:

11. Handries

The language version of ESS 630 I use is Dutch.

12. papa33600

papa33600 Registered Member

The problem occurs with the french version.
    I installed the english version and it seems to solve the problem.

13. Handries

This morning, when I rebooted the computer ESS 630 (Dutch) updated normally to virus signature 2856.
    So everything is back to normal again.
    Sorry for creating a tempest in a teapot.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  14. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Yes, because during these days Eset upgraded some modules (Update, Personal firewall, Antivirus and antispyware scanner).

:thumb:

15. brunos

brunos Registered Member

None of the ESS Trails will not Update any more from http://u20.eset.com/eset_eval/ !!!
    Only when you change this to the "Choose Automatically" mode.
    Off course, you will need the proper Username and Serial to be able to download Updates from here, but the Trail Username and Serial here functioning OK...

I do not know why it is not OK on that Server - maybe he is just temporary down...
    From start of this year Eset NOD32 2.7 has also Update problems...

16. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since the trial version is a full version with a temporary usernamer/password embedded, there's no reason why updates wouldn't work. Updates for trial versions are not limited to a particular server. I have just tested it, downloaded a trial version from our website and it updated fine to the latest version.

18. Lord Di Lego

Lord Di Lego Registered Member

Hi guys

I'm having the same problem. I couldn't download 2 days ago, yesterday morning it was fine, then it changed again and this morning it didn't give me the couldn't connect to server' message as normally.But as soon as the update.ver is done it asks me for Username & Password. This is a trial so I don't have any. I'm confused....

@ nodyforever, by clicking those links I noticed that the u20-server was actually down. Strange that I can get the update.ver-files anyway, but the eset customer service just responded and they said that their servers were all up and running.

But anyway, more than to find out the reason, I just want my ESS-trial working again. When will eset fix this? It has already gone alot of time since it started to appear :'(

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please check your update setup and make sure the username "esstrial52" is entered there. If not, uninstall ESS and install the trial version with an evaluation username/password again.

20. BeBizzy

BeBizzy Registered Member

Hi,

The problem was last evening automaticly solved by ESET. :D

Our customers are happy again. :thumb:

21. Lord Di Lego

Lord Di Lego Registered Member

It seems to be working again - right now anyway. Without or with the password you mentioned.
    (Have it set to 'choose automatically' right now, haven't added any servers individually)

I'm just intrigued now, aren't the Username and Password fields suposed to be blank in the trial-versiones. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, hope it keeps working and thanks for all the help, guys ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  22. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

You're wong......

23. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

24. megentry

megentry Registered Member

I also am no longer able to download updates. My last successful definition update was for version 2851 dated 5 Feb, 2008.

When I manually attempt to download an update, absolutely nothing happens--not even a download of the "version" file. ESS acts as if the "Update Now" link is inoperative.

I read that some folks get some sort of an error message. However, I do not receive one. I get nothing, in fact....

I read that several people have the evaluation version. This is not the case for me. I have a registered, licensed version--for 2 computers. One is a desktop, while the other is my wife's laptop. Her laptop is stuck at the same definition (i.e., 2851)--and behaves in the same manner (i.e., ESS fails to download anything). We're both running Windows XP SP2.

When I look at the Event log, the last entry is for the Feb 5th download, and it states this was successful. Nothing new exists in the log--even for all of my various manual attempts.

When I open ESS, and go to the Update panel, ESS tells me that my definitions are current and there is no need to update.... I know this is not true. I am now behind in my definition files by several updates.

This is a real problem and is NOT tied to some evaluation server being down. My Update setup is set to "Choose Automatically". Even if I was, somehow, using the eval server, which I read was shutdown, shouldn't "Choose Automatically" do just that (among a list of available servers that ESET maintains)?

I have tried several of the suggestions that were described in this thread, but to no avail. Does anyone know what the real issue is--and more importantly, the real solution?

I really hope one is proffered very soon.

For the record, I am running the 3.0.621 (English) version. If the newer *.630 version were available for English soon--I'd try that--but unless I am mistaken, someone in this thread has that version in the Dutch language--and have the same issue....

It would seem to me, that everyone who encountered this problem, all received it immediately after downloading version 2851. What was so magical about that definition, exactly?

Would love to hear something positive with regard to a solution here.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

25. megentry

megentry Registered Member

All,

When I arrived home Monday evening after posting my previous thread, I discovered my wife's laptop had finally downloaded the most recent virus definition files for ESS 3.0.621. On Sunday, no amount of coaxing worked.

On my desktop, however, I still could not update to the most recent definition files. Having not heard anything from the forum, I decided to see, what, if anything, I might do to affect a solution to my problem....

The following documents what I did to "resolve" the issue. Either, I actually (quite accidentally) effected a real solution, or had one heck of a coincidence:

• Purged my Prefetch folder
    • Purged my %sysroot%/system32/wbem/Repository folder

Of the two items above, I figured the second of the two was probably the most "significant".

For those who might not know how to purge the wbem repository, here's the steps:

1. Navigate to Control Panel>>Admin Tools>>Services; alternatively, enter "services.msc" in the Start>>Run dialog box
    2. Identify and shutdown the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service
    3. Navigate to your C:\<WINDOWS>\system32\wbem\Repository directory. Your "WINDOWS" directory may be named something else. Use whatever name your particular system possesses
    4. Delete any file or directory at or below the Repository level. Do not remove the Repository directory itself
    5. Reboot your computer. The system will recreate the "FS" folder and its contents, as well as the $WinMgmt.CFG file if you possess Office.

The above steps seem to cure a lot of ills--whether it be from falsely reporting that you are not running a Firewall (when you really are) to, apparently, being able to download ESS virus definition files once more.

At least, doing these steps appeared to solve my update problems. I posted these steps here in the hopes that if someone else encounters such a problem in the future, they'll be solved by doing the same thing.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.