updates frequency

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by papa33600, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papa33600

papa33600 Registered Member

Hi,

I really like ESS very much, just one thing : updates are not as frequent as for
    some other antivirus softwares.
    Especially today, it has been more than 24 hours without an update and still waiting for it. A bit long, no?
    Anyway, thanks for that great piece of software.

papa33600

2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

omg NO updates! what are you gonna do!?

exactly which virus did you require protection against that wasnt already included in current sig's or could of been detected in AH?*puppy*

3. papa33600

Sorry I'm not a "power-user". Just feel safer with hourly updates.
    The more frequent the updates are, the safer you are, that's a fact.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hourly updates don't necessarily mean extra protection. E.g. if a company was adding old DOS COM viruses on an hourly basis, how would it make your computer safer? Also take into account that the worse heuristics the more frequent updates are required in order to keep up with the new malware. If there's a real undetected threat spreading, it's not a problem to add detection at any time, 24 hours, 7 days a week.

5. papa33600

OK for your arguments, but i noticed that some days there are 3 major updates, and some days no update at all, like today, why?

6. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I would guess that no new viruses turned up today.

7. papa33600

Ok, so why most antivirus software were updated today and only eset products were not?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the day aint over yet.:) Could also be the others are updating today to catch up to Eset from yesterday. I have never questioned Esets update schedule or ability. Marcos made a very valid comment above.

9. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

Your really like a dog with a bone on this aren't you? ESET will update when needed, if that isn't good enough for you then choose another product. Simple.

10. papa33600

I have already tested many different products. ESS RC1 is the one I like the most, and seems to be less buggy than most final versions of other vendors.
    But I don't agree when some of you say "other products update more frequently means they are not so good". I think that frequent updates mean better reactivity.

11. crummock

crummock Registered Member

When I used to use Nortin Internet Security (a few tears ago) it only seemed to update about once per week so maybe that makes it teh best AV ever created ? :)

12. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

How do you expect ESET to release updates when there are no new threats to update. Impossible.

ESET will only put out updates when they get hold of new threats.
    OK, how many other AV's put out updates on Xmas day ?
    Eset did just that last xmas.

I check every morning for updates for those programs that require that on my PC, ESET are there almost every morning. However, there is not one program that has an update every morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.