Updated virus signature not updating in AMON window.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Big D1, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I have a trial version of NOD installed on a windows 98 rig. Everything is running good so far except for one quirk. When I get an update to the virus signature database, IMON, DMON, and NOD32 all show that I have the latest definitions except for AMON. Even the NOD32 system tools information displays the latest definitions. When I click on AMON in the control center, and the respective window opens, the "Version of virus signature database:" will be displaying the previous virus signature instead of the latest one while all other modules display latest definitions.

Here is an example of what I am taking about: IMON, DMON, NOD32, and sytem tools information will all be displaying virus siganture version 1.973 after an update. AMON will still be displaying virus siganture version 1.972 after the update.

Once I reboot, the AMON window will then display the correct virus signature information. I am wondering if AMON is truly using the old definitions? This has been happening on the last three updates that I have observed, and it could possibly been doing it the whole time I have been trialing NOD. Just in the last few days I have noticed it happening.

Anyway, if anybody could be of an assistance, I would appreciate it. I may have looked over it while searching old posts, so sorry if this type of problem has been posted before.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,

please go to AMON's setup - Security tab and make sure the Instant update of virus signatures option is enabled.

Attached Files:

3. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Marcos, that was it and thank you. That option was checked by default, so it was operator error.

4. Visiting

Visiting Guest

Why the hell would there even be an option like this in an anti-virus program? That's just plain stupid! Who would EVER turn this offo_O?? It's the same as not have any anti-virus program running is the new defs are never loaded!

5. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I thought the option checked for updates from the update server on boot which I did not want. That was until I realized AMON was not updating after regular update. It is working right now, so it was my error.

6. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Well, if you read the documentation, it tells you :)

"By default, changes in virus signatures database take effect immediately after the update files have been downloaded. If a particular computer restarts or its connection is terminated after the instant virus database update has been performed, please uncheck the Enable instant virus signatures database update option".

7. Visiting

Visiting Guest

Well, if you read the documentation, it tells you

"By default, changes in virus signatures database take effect immediately after the update files have been downloaded. If a particular computer restarts or its connection is terminated after the instant virus database update has been performed, please uncheck the Enable instant virus signatures database update option".
    -------------------

Well then why have the other update settingso_O?

Prompt to reboot after update
    Always reboot
    Never reboot

Seems to me that THIS is where you should tell it to reboot or not......enabling instant virus def updates should not be the issue and letting this control a reboot or not is absurd when you already have that setting someplace else!

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Eset have designed Nod32 to be highly configurable to any users requirements, this is just another such instance.

Cheers :D

9. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

In addition to what Blackspear has said, the above setting options relate to restarting after a program component (software version) update, whereas the AMON setting allows circumventing a problem with some computers that might be prone to resetting themselves against the user/administrators wishes, following a virus definition update.

Doesn't seem at all absurd to me, quite the contrary.

10. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Ditto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.