Update ya drivers and clog up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I have been a PC pundit for over 5 years. I am extremely conversant with user systems, but not at all linguistic in understanding the computer language or it`s internal anatomy.

I see often on the net that DRIVERS should be updated and little buttons are present so you can do it with impunity. I consider updating drivers like a heart transplant where the chances of success are 9 to 1 against.

Drivers ? What drivers ? I do not know what the hell these people mean. I would hope that Windows updates keep their drivers at Olympic level, but other drivers - what other drivers ? "Drivers" is a nondescript term that means absolutely nothing unless specifically defined.

I have had my box plonking away for over 5 years and never had any signs that my drivers are failing through fatigue or old age. It is as good today as it was all those years ago.

So, what is all this passionate nonsense about updating drivers ?
    It is like saying update your car - pretty stupid really, since the options are infinite.

Drivers updates ? What do you do ? Or think about this subject ?

John B

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There's no point to update your drivers unless your device isn't working properly. In fact if your do update them, something could easily go wrong and potentially ruin your system.

An exception to this are video card drivers, which usually makes things faster for gamers.

4. John Bull

J_L

As always - on the button again. You can be my wing man anytime you like.

5. ABee

ABee Registered Member

The same could be said for any software application on the computer, couldn't it?

But I'm not sure what the O.P. means by "I see often on the net that DRIVERS should be updated and little buttons are present so you can do it with impunity."

He also claims to have no idea what a driver is, yet quotes odds on the chances of updating successfully. Curious.

When I update a driver, it's for a reason. When I update any other software on my machine, it's also for a reason.
    I get my drivers from the manufacturer's website, and I download them because I've sought them out-- not because I got a popup or because something said something on a website, or whatever.

I've found that the 'changelog' text file that comes with a driver or other software is a very good source of info to help with making the decision of whether to upgrade or not. ;)

I'll also say that the last couple of times I've attempted to update my RealTek onboard sound driver, it borked my machine on reboot.
    In these cases, I've found the 'roll-back driver' feature of Windows to be highly useful.
    And I'm now quite leery of attempting to update that particular driver anymore.
    As you said-- the sound works just fine, regardless.

Updating drivers is fine, it just should be done with discretion.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

updating drivers just like anyother computer update task its always best to do a backup first. if it doesnt work restore the backup.
    I always use the lastest drivers on my systems and hardly ever have issues.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Depends on the software and how deep it hooks into the operating system.
    Drivers are absolutely necessary for your system to run properly with your hardware. The risk is much higher than the rewards.

8. John Bull

J_L

I appreciate all the other comments made so far, but just to let you all into a little secret - I do know what drivers are and their purpose in life. My thread is aimed at their designated critical integration with the heart and mind of the computer. They were put in by the Sorcerer and he don`t like any apprentice messing about with them.

No other auxiliary selected service software matters much, you can do what you like with it, plug it in - plug it out and all nice`n easy. But you cannot mess around with fundamental system drivers.

So J_L - YOU are bang on the ball with this subject - no matter if the drivers are the same as came out of the factory and covered in spider webs, if the monster is working OK - leave it alone. Don`t mess with drivers. Let MS Windows look after their own hardware, it is not for DIY enthusiasts.

J_L : When I`m sitting in that rocket waiting for blast-off into oblivion, I`ll be quite happy to let YOU light the fuse.

John B

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I really do appreciate your compliments.

10. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Which is a stated opinion of yours, not a universally or generally recognized fact.

Just so I've got this straight--

You initially claim to know nothing about drivers, but a couple of posts later claim to know everything about them?

And find yourself qualified to give 'expert' advice on the very dos and don'ts of the situation you were initially claiming ignorance of and asking advice and opinions on?

Would this be correct?

11. John Bull

Hello Abee

Partly so. I do know the fundamentals of drivers but not the intrinsic technical aspects.
    I never give expert opinions my friend, since I am no expert, just a technical minded slogger. I joined Wilders to listen to experts. Calling me an expert is very flattering indeed and I thank you.

Opinions ? I suppose you do realise that EVERYBODY has one, Clint Eastwood spelled it out in his immortal phrase, but I am not allowed to repeat it here.

A Forum is a discussion platform and Wilders is top grade. What you have to understand is that a question is asked to solicit the views of others even though the poster has his own firm opinion. It is an intelligent and common practice to seek the views of fellow players regardless of one`s own personal convictions.

It is a democratic process, particularly amongst technical people to obtain a wider and more diverse view of some problem. A practice which if followed by world leaders would result in a better Planet than we currently live in.

May I please just ask another question ? Instead of criticizing a posters particular style, his explanatory techniques or unintentional contradictions, it would be more productive to stick to the actual subject presented. Your post is somewhat divorced from the central issue and merely amounts to personal criticism.

Obviously if you do have some comments to make about the thread subject, I will be more than interested to hear them and thank you in advance.

John B

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  12. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Definitely not on matters concerning computer technicals, that's for sure.
    That's quite apparent from reading a few of your recent posts in these forums.

I called you no such thing, nor do I view you as such-- regardless of how anxious you are to anoint yourself thusly.

Just that it seems when you registered here, you neglected to include what should be the last four letters of your username.

13. culla

culla Registered Member

:D :D :D

what a pointless thread update your drivers is a good idea and will usually cause no problems i've been a computer user since pre dos and can't stand bull....

14. John Bull

On the contrary and what a pointless comment from a veteran of pre-dos.

Nothing wrong with the thread if you have a knowledge of what drivers do and what can happen if you mess around with them. I suggest you read earlier posts combined with net material on the matter before you condemn a thread as pointless.

It would be so nice to receive some positive response concerning the subject instead of a tirade of adverse remarks on either the subject or the author.

John B

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

drivers... hmm.

Sometimes drivers can cause or cure conflicts. Sometimes different drivers for different hardware do not like each other... I have seen this many times before.

Sometimes using older drivers will be better than newer drivers.

Sometimes newer drivers really do give a performance increase, but in my world not usually.

Sometimes you need a new driver even though not much has changed on your system. Often an OS file the driver is dependent on has been changed by something new, and a newer driver is needed.

Normally the driver that came with the hardware will work in most circumstances. Why is it they even include them with devices if they expect you to update them anyway?

Sul.

16. John Bull

Sully, you are a credit to this wonderful Forum.

Your patience, understanding and knowledge is exceptional and exactly what a Forum needs. We are not here to pick each other to death, we are here to impart information to others who are not so fortunate in knowing the answers to questions asked.

We are not a body of experts, we are a platform for discussion on subjects raised by Newbies or experts alike. Questions need an answer not adverse comments about the writer. It is so easy to get off-topic. Incredible really. If one does not like the reading, then don`t buy the book.

There appears to be a fundamental desire to crucify the writer rather than answer his question.

The updating of drivers is EXACTLY as you describe - a risky business.

If the protagonists of an established technique know the answer, then it would be very helpful to the Forum if they would explain it to others who are not so fortunate in the experience and knowledge game. That is why an apparently ignoramus like myself asks questions. I do not do this to be pilloried or upset people, just to seek the wisdom of others with more knowledge and experience than I have.

After all, do we want a technical Forum or just a medium for character assassination and personal victimisation ? If it is the latter, then I want no part of it. I can get that out on the street anytime I like.

John B

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thank you.

This part is easy. Just enter into every conversation like you have something to learn from others, even newbies. Many times I find myself examining what I think I know becuase someone else looks at things differently that I do.

Nothing is better than gleaning information from someone else what has seen it and done it already. No two situations are guaranteed to be the same, but often they are similar ;)

Sul.

18. John Bull

Sully, you are a one man breath of fresh air to this unnecessary bun-fight.

Oh by the way ABee my faithful friend, so that I do not have to read any more of your juvenile prattle and insulting comments, I have put you on my IGNORE list. Adios Amigo !

John B

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I totally agree with Sully. In some cases updating Nvidia graphics drivers has help solve problems, in some cases worse.

Before I ever do it, I do an image of the system, update an FDISR archive, to ensure I can get back to where I was. Then I can update and see what happens.

I would however, never update the Nvidia Raid drivers, even if they did have newer versions. To messy.

Pete

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Speaking of Nvidia there was a recent issue whereby a driver update caused overheating issues,so there's always a potential risk with 'upgrading' drivers.

http://slashdot.org/story/10/03/05/...date-Causing-Video-Cards-To-Overheat-In-Games

The old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' comes into play;unless there's an over-riding need to update a driver to fix a particular issue.In any case updating drivers should be treated the same as any other major system change and a backup/recovery strategy should be put in place beforehand.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I tend to stick with my existing (and therefore older) drivers as long as I don't have a problem with anything. I have seen the installation of newer or updated drivers create problems myself, so I tend to play it safe. As long as everything works, and there is no compelling reason to upgrade, then I don't. Pretty simple. If for some reason I can't resist the urge to update a driver, then I do a system image prior to installing the new one. But usually, I just maintain the status quo.

22. John Bull

To andyman35 and Peter2150

In company with a handful of others - Where have you been all my life ?
    Nice to read some common sense and intelligent logic instead of an avalanche of insulting garbage from our more juvenile members.

Welcome to the adult world. We may be in the minority, but at least it feels good.
    John B

23. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Ummm.. do I have to agree that updating drivers is dangerous so I can get a compliment too?
    Or can I speak freely and state that this -

- is simply a form of FUD.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

LOL..... I agreed with it and didn't get a compliment... What gives? :)

25. John Bull

Of course not Seer. The whole purpose of a question is to obtain an answer.
    Your views are every bit as important as any others. I compliment where it is deserved.

Unlike the quite irrelevant immature twaddle metered out by the juvenile Wild Bunch, which thanks to my penalty box I can no longer read, I have an opinion to which I am perfectly entitled.

Nevertheless I am more than interested in views that do not agree providing they are presented in a mature manner and have some technical foundation. Is that not the very essence of debate, to solicit opinion ? Any debating session always has a FOR and AGAINST team.

What would be the point in asking a question or presenting a problem if one was only seeking to form a Self Appreciation Society ?

Feel free Seer, make my day.

John B

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.