Update to Intel (R) Pro/100/VE Network Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Escalader, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Folks:
    I have an optional update from MS windows xp sp 2 for this network device?

Sounded scarry so I didn't install it... was I right or wrong? Who has done it ? Why would they call it optional?

Confused again!

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Your choice Escalader.

Personally I don't like to install hardware drivers from MS.
    I had a motherboard LAN driver from Windows Update that messed up my network connection. But that was long ago.
    I prefer to get updates from the manufacturer directly.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it's not CRITICAL, you don't NEED it.

3. Escalader

Thanks, I see your point. Problem is Intel's site and naming rules are so complex it's hard to find your device.

I will do nothing as you suggest

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well at least we know that if the installer simply won't run that it's probably already up to date :)

7. Escalader

Hi Rico and Notok:

Thanks for all the input! What I can't figure out as a simpleton on drivers even after reading your responses is what to do and what happened to you people.

Rico did you actually succeed in updating this driver?
    If so where did you end up getting it MS or the manufacturer?
    Did the update work? Can you still access secure sites?

Some people said if it's optional don't do update, others do it since it MIGHT have a security update. DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW? WHERES THE OFFICAL WORK ON THIS SUBJECT RE BEST DEVICE UPDATE PRACTICE?

I still am running PC with old driver( if it is old) and won't do anything till I know!

Sorry if I sound like a nervous nellie ( sorry nellie)

Escalader:doubt:

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Good Morning Escalader,

I did upgrade the network driver, very easy! I got the update from mfg. Intel. To upgrade all I did was to:

1. Close all tray items, bottom right of your screen near clock.
    2. Double click the downloaded file.
    3. Reboot

Caution! Before you do this make a "system restore point" just prior to upgrading, also a ERUNT in addition to the restore point. Also Intel's "release notes" & "read me" for the driver describe the improvements to the driver.

Kind of like a tightrope walker, he's sure he won't fall, but is re-assured by the safety net below him!

God Luck & Take Care
    rico

9. Escalader

Thanks Rico:

What is an ERUNT? I've done a restore point many times..

Escalader

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Escalader,

ERUNT is a free program for making a good copy of the registry, & makes restoring the registry a snap. Just in case "System Restore" gets cranky on you. Also ERUNT's sister program "NTREGOPT" (free) will take/remove all the empty space in the registry, making it more compact. For a free copy of ERUNT & NTREGOPT & much better explanation of both. SEE:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

As Always Take Care
    rico

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

System Restore should do just as well as ERUNT in a case like this. XP also has a couple other "fail safes" for drivers as well, such as the ability to go into the driver properties in the Device Manager and "Rollback Driver" or use the "Last known good config" from the boot menu (the one where you select to go into Safe Mode).

In short, I'd just make a Restore point and update the driver. It shouldn't cause any real issues. If you look at the "README" on the download page for the driver, it should give you more information about the update. When it comes to drivers, though, it's generally good practice to keep them updated. I haven't had any problems updating drivers for years, and even then it was just general bugs in the software. You don't encounter this nearly as much anymore.

To give a little background on Rico's problem, he was trying to update the chipset driver for his motherboard and the installer just wouldn't run. It turned out that the installer just wasn't "smart" enough to realize that the driver was already up to date, so instead of showing a "You're already up to date" message, it just didn't do anything at all. A small exercise in frustration, but nothing serious. :)

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Notok,

I remember doing something in MSCONFIG, something to do with clean boot. I can't quite remember what it was. But it erased all my restore points, that occured by design. So I was fortunate enough to have ERUNT. I mentioned ERUNT as in a "backup to a backup" & the price is right.

Also nice summation on the chipset thingy, & for me a good learning experience - Special Thanks Mr Notok for all your valuable help!!

Take Care
    rico

13. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Keeping hardware device drivers updated is a good practice (once they are out of beta testing), just not from MS. As with all software, get it from the source.
    Get the updated drivers directly from the manufacturer and as Notok and Rico suggested, make your restore point or other backup BEFORE you update any hardware drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.