Update timed out??

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by GUU, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUU

GUU Registered Member

I installed Eset Smart Security last night and cannot Update Virus Signature Database. When I run tracert u34.eset.com the request is timed out. Here are the ping results: 1144ms , 998 ms, 783ms and 770ms. The "TTL" is 41. Four packets sent & received with 0% lost.

I connect to the web via a satellite dish. I am using Window XP sp2. The Windows firewall is turned off. I am not connecting through a proxy. The UPdate server is set to choose automatidcally. I am using the default usesname and password. Does anyone know if the delay caused by my satellite connection prevents me from being able to use ESS?

2. GUU

GUU Registered Member

Hi Again All

I see that there are several other post re people having trouble with the update. Perhaps the problem is not related to my connection. I have a current, but soon to expire subscription, with Trend Micro PC-Cillin and have had no problems with updating. Perhaps if no one has any suggestions, I will try the 30 day trial subscription to Nod32 to see if I have the same issue with that program..

However, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated as I would like to give the Eset SS a longer test drive.

3. de jean

de jean Registered Member

put the updateserver to "automatic"
    don't choose one yourself, works perfect here.
    Create also a rule to check 4 updates every hour.

4. The One

The One Frequent Poster

At first I had this changed myself and it did not work well. But for now I changed it to automatic and all goes well

5. Muhammad

Muhammad Registered Member

i had the same problem and i reinstalled it and it worked just fine

6. GUU

GUU Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I've tried so far:

I've reinstalled the program and restarted windows. The program says that the virus signature database is up to date. However, the databse version is only 2236 (20070503), which is what was installed when the program was set up. According to the Eset web site the current version is 2305. The previous install also said it was up to date until I clicked the manual update too many times and it decided that it was not secure because of the numerous failures to update.

I've verified that both this install and the last install had the update server set to automatic.

I set the scheduler to update every hour and upon connection to the web.

I've disabled my web connection and reconnected to see if it would trigger an update, but it did not.

Is there anything I've missed or something else I should try?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Strange that you cannot traceroute u34.eset.com, it looks like a connectivity problem at your side. I can run tracert without getting any error.

8. chemicalkicks

chemicalkicks Registered Member

I had this problem too.

I resolved it by entering in my Licence details for NOD32 where it asked for Username and Password.

Might be worth Setting up NOD and using the free trial or purchasing?

9. GUU

GUU Registered Member

Hi again all.

I just installed the trial version of Nod32. It had no problem updating. I then uninstalled Nod32 and reinstalled the beta ESS hoping (but not expecting) that the third install would do the trick. It did not. I've looked through the settings several times in hopes that I might see something set incorrectly. I feel like I must be missing something, but have no idea what it is.

10. GUU

GUU Registered Member

Hi

Here ia quick update. A computer guru friend of mind said that a trace routes are often blocked and that is probably not related to me being able to update. Also since I can ping, I should be able to connect.

11. Dreden

Dreden Registered Member

This program will not update on the weekends. I guess no one writes new viruses when they can be at the beach.

12. GUU

GUU Registered Member

:eek: I wished I had know that from the beginning!!! Oh well, the good thing is ... is that I now have hope :D

Thanks

13. GUU

GUU Registered Member

Hi again

It is Monday 6:13 p.m. AST. I just started my computer for the first time today and attempted multiple manual updates without success. However, every six attempts or so the program appears to download a file named update.ver before it gives me the message that the update was interrupted. I will leave the computer on for the evening to see if the auto update kicks in.

GUU

14. GUU

GUU Registered Member

Well I at a lost. I just uninstalled ESS, deleted the directory, downloaded a new set up file and reinstalled the program. But my update problem remains. I don't think that I have any choice other than to uninstall it :(

I think that for now I will check out the Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 package. Unless I am really sold on Kaspersky I will check back occasionally to see if there is new ESS beta. Should you have any more suggestions please post them as would really like to get the ESS package working.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.