update tds database

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by zmic, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zmic

zmic Registered Member

Just switched from dial-up to fiber optic connection. Had always updated database from the control panel, no problem. Now, with high speed, was able to get a few database updates from the control panel, and then:

[Radius Update] Database already up-to-date - transfer aborted.

The last time I was able to update from the control panel was 18-02-2005 using new connection. Do I now need to update from the Diamond website, or.......?? Thanks for reading!

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

zmic,

I've run into that lately also. I'd assume the timing with changing your connection is coincident.

What I've done is first try to pull a revised update.cfg file from TDS3 Radius Update, see the middle of the page. I generally stop TDS3, download update.cfg to the TDS3 program folder (don't overwrite update.exe - I did that once), and then restart TDS and update. If that's a no go, I'll just manually download radius.td3 from the same page.

Blue

3. zmic

zmic Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I was able to update from the Diamond site via Manual Update. First, though, I did try to update using update.cfg via the Automatic Update section of the page. It downloaded a text file and ultimately didn't work. I deleated it. There is an update.cfg - size: 1 kb, type: CGF File in the folder. What's that? Also, how do I 'stop' TSD3? And, I don't see update.exe anywhere in my TSD folder. Where should it be? Thanks again!!

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Some remarks:

Gavin posts daily (working days, no public holiday in Australia) the update information in the Wilders Update Alerts forum-section.
    You should always check whether your definitions are the same as Gavin posted there.

You really have to carefully read this page:
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update

In particular:
    Important: The Automatic Update program (update.exe) requires an up-to-date server list (update.cfg) in order to download the database. This file can be downloaded here (Right-click | Save Target As...). Please save the file to your TDS directory, overwriting the existing update.cfg file. Remember to ensure that the filename is update.cfg, and not update.cfg.txt or anything else.

The file update.exe is in your TDS-3 directory.
    There is not any need to touch that file !
    Please leave it as it is !!!

I hope that helps.
    Most warmest regards, Jan.

5. BlueZannetti

zmic,

FanJ answered a couple of your questions, I'll tackle the rest, but first let me expand on the comments in FanJ's post regarding the update.cfg filename, when you right click the entry on the DCS webpage to download the update.cfg file, it will default to a text file type, resulting in the filename update.cfg.txt. To prevent this, when the Save as dialog box appears, the save as type selection entry should list Text Document initially, activate the pulldown selection menu and select all files. This will allow you to save it as update.cfg

To stop TDS3, from the main console window, select TDS on the top menu bar (left most entry), then select Quit.

The location of update.exe is (if you installed in the usual location) the C:\Program Files\TDS3 folder. It's a 20 kb application file. If you don't see it, this is why your updating isn't working. The quickest way to regenerate update.exe if it is missing it to simply reinstall. You should be able to simply reinstall on top of the existing installation.

Blue

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks a lot Blue for explaining things so much more clearly than I did !!! :D

Thanks Blue !
    Most warmest regards, Jan.

7. BlueZannetti

Jan,

My pleasure. I still remember mulling over "why the heck did that happen?" when those multiple filename extensions first popped up in front of me. As always, it's in the details....

Cheers,

Blue

8. BourgePD

BourgePD Registered Member

I don't know about you folks, but I have a routine wherein I perform a number of application updates twice a week. As part of the routine, although TDS may not be running at that particular time, I update TDS by running the update.exe from a shortcut. Works for me. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.