update servers

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Joseph Coyne, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph Coyne

Joseph Coyne Guest

OK, folks,I give up.

It's been a long time since I've had a question about my TDS3.
    So, today, I tried to reach the 'forum', as I did a year ago.
    But, it seems I get directed to this 'Wilders' forum, where my diamondcd usid/pswd are not valid.
    I'm not even sure I'm now in the right place, but, here goes:
    Several months ago something changed and my updates for my TDS3 only worked with 'server#3'.
    That is I have to wait for the timeouts for TDS3 to try servers #1&2 until I get a good update off of server #3.
    My question is:
    What servers should I be using?
    Where/how to I change them?

As I'm not even sure I can navigate myself back to this wilder site, could someone please inform me via email on how to reconfigure my TDS3 to the current situation?
    My email is jfconline@ccccccccccccc
    A thousand thanks to anyone responding to this post.

Regards,

*edited email account away for security reasons after emailing you this URL again

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Joseph, welcome here.

See for the DCS forum the URL in my signature.
    Indeed, both forums here at Wilders and at DCs are on separate servers with each their own member registration. So register as a member overhere too.
    (Which can be rather nice as every now and then there is a shower of free software licenses over the registered members here!)

For the Radius update best go to the TDS update site and grab every once in a while the new update.cfg file which has the new mirrors and changes order of them to spread the traffic over the mirrors as much as possible.
    Get it over here
    Drop it in your TDS directory, overwriting the former one and with the next TDS (re)start this new file is used for the radius update.

3. joseph coyne

joseph coyne Guest

Thank you very much for the reply, Jooske.
    I followed your very clear instructions, and everything's working good again.

Thanks again.
    Regards,

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Joseph, Also, if you have not done it yet, get TDS 3.2.1 Final as this corrects some of the links that were broken when DCS changed servers etc.

5. Robyn

Robyn Guest

I have tried to do this with the same file today as I have just registered my trial version. I still had to use 'save target as' to get the updates. I also noted on my e-mail it tells me to rename the TDS folder on installation - mine was already installed so I would have to rename it now - would this work or would it be best for me to do a complete fresh install of TDS o_O Thanks in advance

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Robyn and welcome to the TDS family and in the forum!

Renaming the folder is indeed advised to have it not targeted as easy as default, but if you have it running fine at the moment just put the registration key in the directory and if necessary (if instructed) rename that file, (re)start TDS and be a happy user in the TDS family!

Not sure if it would harm to rename an already installed folder/directory in general. On the other hand i read of people renaming exe files to other names and it seems all still to be working. Hope somebody can tell this.
    If it is in the registration email you can trust it can be done without harm if you want and think you can find it back on your system after that! :)

If you need a re-install or with the future upgrades you've to re-install anyway so you can think of other names. (How about C:\My Gems Collection\ for DCS? once your name is Robyn (dutch for Ruby) to start with? :cool: )

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Robyn, Changing the TDS default folder name will be OK as TDDS is pretty much a stand alone programme. Changing the .exe name does stop a couple of things working but I cannot remember what at the moment.

8. Robyn

Robyn Guest

Hi & thank you for the welcome to the forum :)

I am not usre what has happened to my login here as I activated my account but when I tried to sign in I was not recognised o_O

I looked in my folder and there is my registration key plus an update.exe - is this what should be allowing me to update automatically? I will not know if it works until tomorrow as I downloaded the updates myslef today.

I am afraid to upset the program as it seems to be working for me apart from the update facility. Would it be that my trial version needs to be uninstalled to utilise the new version now? Where do I find which version I actually have :oops:

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No need to uninstall and reinstall at all, just put the registration keyfile in the TDS directory. that's all.
    The automatic update will be on mondays and fridays but i made it a habit to click that menu option myself to have my update each day.

There are two different forums: this Wilders forum and the DCS forum each on their own different servers with their own different forum software so you'll have to register as a forum member in both places again.
    And you will have to allow cookies and not blocking the privacy in the browser via the firewall for instance (reference) so the forum knows you are a real person and not a webcrawler or such.

If all is working nicely let it be as it is now, as soon we'll have our upgrades and you will make your changes anyway. Give yourself time to get used to this new tool on your system!

10. Robyn

Robyn Guest

Hi Jooske, once again many thanks for all this updated advice. I will use my version of TDS as it stands as it is working for me. I would much rather get used to the program features and then be able to upgrade with more confidence.

Layered security is very important to me and TDS is a major part of my layers. I really do want to learn a lot more about the program as I have recommended it to many friends. I will no doubt spend time on this forum reading all the FAQ's and the advice given in the posts.
    I very much appreciate such a friendly forum with expert advice readily available :)

11. Robyn

Robyn Guest

Hi

I found my live update file was saved as .txt I replaced this with the correct file and live update ran today for me :)

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Robyn, nice it works all so good for you!
    You'll get used to it over the next years, so TDS can keep you busy while secure for the rest of our lifetime!
    Even Wayne himself hasn't found the ultimate borders of the possibilities, as TDS is limited only by our imagination (ok, and some knowledge which will grow with using it)

As you say you like layered security, i'm sure you are interested in the other products too: WormGuard and Port Explorer, as wel as the recently released Process Guard if you're on a Win2000/NT/XP system.
    And not to forget the whole lot on the free tools pages, all very nice and handy tools!
    Not sure if you also downloaded and unzipped the Scripts and speech files from the TDS site, to be able to add lots of interesting functions to TDS.
    Wormguard will block worms and scripts if it finds suspicious code and warn you what caused the blockage so you can decide what to do, Port Explorer gives you in a blink of the eye all the connections and datapackets ot/from your system and possible suspicious (maybe trojan) connections, while you don't need to do a thing but start it and look at given moments. PE comes with several very handy and easy to use tools like the automatic whois, resolve, packet sniffer, ping/trace tool, etc and is comes with several different translations (so nice for our education :) )
    The process Guard is discussed in the forums, designed to protect processes from being illegally closed by malicious processes or crashes (like security software by trojans f.e.)

Hope you like the way you started: at least make sure to have your system msagent ready and enjoy the scripts singing and talking to you and lots more! (serious stuff too!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.