Update of Spyware Guard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MetalDemon, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetalDemon

MetalDemon Registered Member

I have a problem with spyware guard. After I downloaded it, it will not update. I have SpywareGuard 2.2 and I run a Windows XP system. I also have SpywareBlaster, but that updates just fine. The definitions date is 8/30/03, so it never got updated. Maybe its a firewall problem, but then why does SpywareBlaster update work and SpywareGuard does not? Is there any way for me to manually update it? o_O

2. MetalDemon

The error it gives me goes like this:
    "There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download. Please try again soon."
    1... Unless it has been temporarily unavailable since i installed it and first tried to update it several days ago, i dont believe that the server is down. Then again, I'm a n00b and I don't know anything so... o_O
    2... As i menitoned before, SpywareBlaster updates just fine, so I dont believe it is a firewall problem. Is there any way for me to disable my firewall in order to check?
    3... It's possible that my information file may have gotten corrupted, but all the time? o_O

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Sorry this isn't an answer. but another question closely (?) related to MD's.

If I run LiveUpdate, I'm told no updates available, I have the current definitions.

Definitions date is showing as 11-23-03 -- is that correct for the most recent update?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Yes, those are correct. :)

snowbound

5. MetalDemon

Just clarifying: If my problem is with my firewall or something I cannot change, I'm willing to manually update if it is possible. Is it possible?

6. snowbound

hi MetalDemon :)

Did u try disabling your firewall and then checking for updates?

snowbound

7. MetalDemon

err... how do i disable my firewall? :'( I have norton antivirus 2003 but i dont believe that came with a firewall, and if it did, I tried but can't find how to disable it. Otherwise, probably my dsl came with a firewall, but how do i disable that?

8. snowbound

If u have a firewall it will show in your systems tray.

Just right click on the icon and choose disable.

snowbound

9. MetalDemon

Nope, no firewall is shown on my system tray. (it would say firewall right?) I don't really think it is a firewall problem because then why would spywareblaster, made by the same company, work and this one would not?

Also, maybe spywareGuard and spywareBlaster should not run together? Is spywareGuard just an expansion of Blaster or are they meant to run side by side?

10. snowbound

SpywareBlaster and Spywareguard run fine together.

I have them both and never had any problems.

I have had the same problem as u in the past and it was a server problem but u said it has been a few days now so i don't think this is the problem.

I will try to find out for u if there is a way to manually update SpywareGuard.

snowbound

11. MetalDemon

Thanks a lot. I greatly appreciate your help.

12. snowbound

Hi MetalDemon :)

Iam still researching this, but in the meantime did u try to uninstall and reinstall Spywareguard?

Sometimes this will fix these types of problems.

snowbound

13. MetalDemon

Yes, I'm sorry i should have mentioned that before. I've tried reinstalling it several times and with the same result. Sorry.

14. snowbound

Look at this thread,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15015;start=msg94038#msg94038

I think u will find everything u need. :)

snowbound

15. MetalDemon

Thanks a lot... i should just copy what is in those links and then save it under the file name dot whatever and put in the folder? I'll try that, again thanks a LOT. You've really helped me.

16. MetalDemon

Again, thanks a milion, that updated the program. It might be a hassle to keep checking for updates, but oh well. Again thanks a lot.

17. snowbound

You are very welcome :)

I'm glad u got it working ok. :D

If u have any more problems just post.

Keep trying your updater though, it may start working for u. ;)

snowbound

18. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, snowbound. I vaguely remember hearing that once every couple of months is typical for updates, which would work out about right if there's one in the works for the near future.

19. snowbound

Yes u are right. About once every to 2 months.

snowbound

20. MetalDemon

THanks to everybodies help the problem is fixed. Updates now work. It was NIS 2002 that was causing problems
    I had tried to install NAV 2003 over NIS 2002 and that caused a conflict, in which apparetnly NIS started blocking everything? Well that is fixed now and again thanks for everybodies' help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.