Update Manager

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ellison64, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

For some reason ,I always thought update manger on linux mint only updated your particular system and installed apps.Today I saw the blue "!" in the system tray and after clicking it saw there was an update for chromium browser which I don't have installed.is that normal behavior?
    tia
    ellison

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Check your menu to be sure Chromium is not installed.

3. ellison64

I did ..and it isn't installed.Checked software manager too and its showing as not installed.Strange.I choose to ignore
    EDIT
    I've just noticed it says its a security update for chromium browser,and ive ticked to always show security updates in update manager options.The show security update option maybe overrides the fact that the app doesn't necessarily have to be installed?

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Maybe, but this sounds like a bug in the update manager, methinks...

5. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

It's likely just an update for the "extra ffmpeg codecs" for Chromium. I bet if you read the update notification carefully you'll see it says that. I don't have Chromium installed in Mint either but Mint apparently comes with the extra ffmpeg codecs. If you apply that update you'll see in Software Manager that Chromium still isn't installed. You'll just have updated codecs in place I assume in case you ever do install Chromium.

6. ellison64

yes you are right...thats exactly what the updates are.Ive also noticed that if you untick the update it gets "blacklisted".Not sure if it means update manage r wont show any more updates for chromium browser or what?.The wording and descriptions are not very clear at all.

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

If the codec is for Chromium, then I don't understand why it's offered when Chromium is not installed.
    If you install Chromium, the up-to-date codec will be installed at the same time, so I don't see the reason to update it separately.
    Maybe it's used by something else.

8. ellison64

After installing the codecs for chromium which isn't installed ,ubuntu cleaner removes them as not needed.So im with you on this one.The updates shouldn't be offered if chromium is not installed.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think if you have "restricted extras" installed, you have the package:
    Code:
    $ apt show ubuntu-restricted-addons  
    Package: ubuntu-restricted-addons 
    Version: 23 
    Priority: optional 
    Section: multiverse/metapackages 
    Origin: Ubuntu 
    Maintainer: Evan Dandrea <ev@ubuntu.com> 
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug 
    Installed-Size: 11.3 kB 
    Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, flashplugin-installer, gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad, gstreamer1.0-libav, gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3, chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra, oxideqt-codecs-extra 
    Download-Size: 2,856 B 
    APT-Sources: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse amd64 Packages 
    Description: Commonly used restricted packages for Ubuntu 
    $ 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.