Update available Agnitum Outpost to 9.1

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by makios, Feb 24, 2014.

1. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

Sm3K3R, we have gone over your so-called 'proof' ad nauseum in opne thread after another. we have explained. you will not accept criticism, or offer any data, you just want to bad mouth a good product. you have an obsessive compulsion to carry on this absurdity.

complaining that you are not protected against a benign happening is like complaining that the army atomic ballistic missile defence system does not protect you from attack by butterflies, and thus is ineffective.

i repeat on e more time, i am not agnitum, the outpost forum is not agnitum. our mods and admin are all volunteers, most of us have backgrounds in networking,internet hosting, and operating systems as well as computer systems support, etc.

if you have any real data as to a vulnerability that makes sense, you should contact agnitum directly via their website support page. if you are not receiving a reply, there is likely a valid reason. like they don't buy into your mindset.

p.s. - i am not your 'mate'. i know my credentials, you have not mentioned yours yet. i've proven myself, you haven't as yet. i did not get personal until after you did. you are acting more like a spoiled brat that can't get it's own way, so it's best i just ignore your vituperative posts and not feed your ego. bye.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Personally i still believe the answer is in the blog link that i posted{post 12} in the other thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=356387
    Heres the blog link again
    http://blog.superuser.com/2011/05/16/windows-7-network-awareness/

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi,

I should have explained it better.

The look and feel is nice, but I would like to have quick access to Application Rules and stuff.

It should have been a separate tab on the main GUI. :)

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

ellison64,
    I remember your links very well. As well as my own shots of the router and outpost logs. What I don't understand is what might microsoft be doing to avoid being seen by several firewalls. Other than that it's no issue.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Who knows?...maybe. some firewall drivers interact with the OS sooner as Alexander explained or maybe outpost purposely allows Microsoft as trusted traffic?.Only agnitum are able to answer that.The blog explains how to disable the ncsi service through registry so I guess it can be confirmed or not whether this is the cause .I'd try it myself but formatted PC and switched to Linux a few weeks ago and don't intend to switch back as I now prefer it.In any case and for whatever reason some firewalls block it and some don't, I don't think there's a huge security issue unless the connections are able to connect to non Microsoft site.I haven't seen any evidence of any problems with that yet

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

You can always right-click on the tray icon to get direct access to advanced settings, no?

7. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

Just installed Outpost Firewall Pro 9.1 the other day and immediately obvious how smooth it runs on XP and plays well with EAM9, voodooshield, mbae & sbie 3.76. I purchased it the next day. The only anomaly that I've seen is not with the app but with Outpost forum, I tried to register, and it kept saying that I answered the non-robot security questions incorrectly, seemed to be in a loop... but if OP continues to run this well, no need to ask questions on their forum.

8. tns

tns Registered Member

Why outpost security suite free is not upgrading from 2011?
    What ever fixes and improvements done in pro version will it be done for free edition?

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Free version is very much abandoned.

10. kronckew

not abandoned as much as unsupported, which agnitum were very clear about when it was released. it was basicly a sampler to allow you to try it before buying. you can do the same now with current versions as there is a trial period before you need to buy a full licence. we do not support or even reccommend using thwe free version, it's just too old.

...and for you humans, the answers to the registration human verification option are:
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/kronckew/stuff/Capture%20001.jpg

text answers are case sensitive. numeric answers should be a numeral (or two)

if you are a 'droid, these are not the answers you are looking for, move along, move alng...

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

They said they will not release new Free versions any more....

12. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  13. kronckew

that mentions nothing about support. read your license. 'planning to release' 4 years ago does not guarantee they will. they didn't. the decision to not continue with new free releases came later.the blog is kind of like a press release by marketing. do you believe everything hey write in newspapers (paper versions and/or online)?

the forum staff supported the free version to some extent till 2013 when we stopped. that is clearly stated in a sticky thread on the free subforum. we do not use or reccommend it, and leave support to those who do use it. agnitum have never supported the free oss.

the license for the free version states clearly:

5. SUPPORT
    Due to the fact that Software is supplied as Freeware, reaction of the support service and any resolution of the problems, which may arise during its use, installation and removal are not guaranteed. However, technical support of the Software may be provided under a separate contract between You and Agnitum.

i do not recall them ever selling this as a seperate item. the product announcement at the time mentioned that it was unsupported. the present 'modernized' agnitum site eiminated a lot of the earlier verbage, but the bumph on the free version comparing it to the pro version shows the free support does not exist for the free version.

i gather signature updates for the free anti-malware section continue tho.

security products have moved on, and agnitum's releases since the last free have moved to counter the exploits and dangers that have evolved since the free version. the best i cansay about it is that it is better than nothing, and better than some competing products.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  14. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Where and when did I say anything about guarantees? I quoted your words in bold. "not abandoned as much as unsupported, which agnitum were very clear about when it was released."

"the forum staff supported the free version to some extent till 2013 when we stopped" < This is not 2011, so still this > "which agnitum were very clear about when it was released" is not true. Do not put words in "my mouth", please!

15. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

:D eventually I did get myself registered on the OP forum, but OP 9.1 has been so trouble-free here, I'm not spending much time there; however, we can agree to disagree about "how many 'A' are in Alabama." I think that question in that form was posted by a droid given that the answer that works is not the correct answer IMHO. o_O

16. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Still version 9.x. ?! :)
    Any real updates for the future in Outpost or politics wont alow that ?! :)
    Nice to see people beeing happy with the Outpost protection.

17. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

The current version has been working great for me (minus a few bugs since 7.5 that I can't seem to isolate since they are random in when they make an appearance but don't negate protection any). That said, I do have some worries about the gap from the last release date. The current changes to the website have added to this and I'm left with this sense of dread that the Outpost 10 version (which I expect will be released around the time Windows 10 is) will be a much different (read user friendly and less 'advanced') animal and not something that will be an actual upgrade in my case. This is of course pure speculation and I certainly would be happy to have this feeling assuaged or dis-proven completely when the first beta becomes available!

18. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Lets hope that the interface is not the only thing they change :)
    I am not sure the politics will alow the software to evolve more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.