Update alerts- any benefits?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by aigle, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not able to understand the usefulness of these update alerts( signature updates, not the version). I wonder if anyone gets a benefit form theses.
    For me i will either auto-update my scanner/ scanners or do it manually wheh needed. I will not bother to come in a forum and check for update alerts. Afterall these updates happen sometimes more than once in a day.

Sometimes I visist another forums where activity is not like wilders. there when I check for unread posts, I see nothing but update alerts mainly. That,s rather irritating.

Anything I am missing?

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One advantage I can think of right offhand. Most software offering auto-updates (even if you can set it for notify-only) is set up to spread out notifications and/or installations over a period of time, several days or even a week or more, to even out server load. (Edit - this is typically true of program upgrades rather than defs updates.)

But if you need to know about an available update more or less immediately when it becomes available, your choices are essentially either do a manual check, or watch for notices on appropriate forums.

I agree that notification of defs updates, especially if they're frequent and auto-updates work well, is probably overkill compared with the same info for program upgrades. But don't forget that the free versions of some things, like Spyware Blaster or Ad-Aware, don't offer auto-updates so you have to periodically check manually and/or watch the forums.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t mean version upgrades, that,s OK.
    Anyway it,s a lot easier to click update manually on SpywareBlaster etc rather than go to a forum, check for update alerts and then try to update it.
    It doesn,t make any sense to me.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Some people find them useful, other's don't. The Updates Team posts mostly the same here as they do at several other forums. Although some forums limit the number of iterations for signature update postings, other's don't. We don't. The Updates Team has their policies for updates postings here, and they do it extremely well.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was just thinking it takes a lot of space and might be going on just as a tradition.

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

If i may just add that as a world class mature security forum with hundred's of members and guest's on line at anytime it is imperative that the updates from a world class team are up to speed at all times and we should all be very thankful that they are updated to such a high professional standard for the benefit of all who choose to stop by and take note :)

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, that makes a bit of sense though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.