UPDATE Acronis True Image Home 2013 16.0 Build 6514

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by treehouse786, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

Release date: April 04, 2013
    Build: English US, English UK, German, French
    Build number: 6514

Installation procedure

The installation procedure is straightforward. Please run the downloaded executable file and follow the instructions.

What's New?

Certification – True Image 2013 Update1 by Acronis is officially certified for MS Windows 8.

Improved operation of Nonstop Backup (NSB) – product now handles unplugging and plugging of USB storage while performing nonstop backup, even if it was unsafely unplugged. Also NSB now conveniently prompts you from the system tray to clean up the disk when it runs out of space on the target storage, and performs automatic defragmentation of the storage whenever NSB session is started.

System tray alerts - Users can now be more conveniently notified when an update or upgrade of the product is available and track the Acronis Cloud subscription state.

Software and hardware compatibility – improved operation with external USB devices.

New panel notifications and log messages, updated Help and User Guide – for your convenience.

E-mail backup - MS Outlook 2013 is now supported.

MS Windows 8 Secure boot is now supported.

Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) 4.0 support – Now the latest WinPE version based on the Windows 8 kernel is supported. You can create a bootable WinPE 4.0 disc that contains True Image 2013.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

thanks for the update.
    on the other hand, its very lame for Acronis still not be able to provide a UEFI/Secure Boot compatible winpe 4.0 recovery media. Acronis only provides 32 bit of winpe 4.0 media, which is not bootable on secure boot enabled UEFI based pc.
    the linux recovery media works on secure boot enabled windows 8 machines.

3. GSL

GSL Registered Member

There was no mention if it has fix files/folders permission issues after restoration with the latest build of linux based recovery media and it introduced new problem of unable to detect drives that is using GPT.

4. oliverjia

what's your system config? OS version?
    the linux boot usb works fine on my UEFI Secure boot enabled windows 8 x64, partitoned using GPT.

5. GSL

GSL Registered Member

I came across their forum with the issue confirmed by acronis engineers.

6. oliverjia

Acronis is really going down now. I won't trust a product with such an apparent bug released to the public. Is there even a QC process/beta testers for their product? The only reason I am still interested in using acronis true image is because of the speed and compression ratio, but if they don't do any QC, then it's very hard to trust their product anymore.

7. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Probably QC is not thoroughly enough. When the 2013 version was first released it caused huge problem for windows 8 users such as explorer.exe hanging, dllhost.exe crashing which was not fixed till 6months later. I don't recall seeing acronis having beta tester program. For now I just used the WinPE based rescue disk to backup and restore my pc.

8. oliverjia

I don't have this option as I have a GPT disk with UEFI Secureboot enabled. The linux CD is the only way for me to back up my OS. I used IFW 2.80 and Macrium Reflect free (both recovery cd are based on winpe 4.0 x64).
    I am surprised Acronis has not come up with a x64 winpe 4.0 disk yet. a 32 bit winpe 4.0 won't boot on Secureboot enabled windows 8 box. I feel acronis is really slow and made load of mistakes in adopting new technology. Not being able to see a GPT disk is a very obvious bug, even any coders at Acronis test their product even only once, they would have identified this bug. Unfortunately, the customers served as experimental subject of their lousy product. This I-fxxking-don't-care attitude towards its customers is what made me really angry.
    On the contrary, Paragon and Terabyte Unlimited provided solutions to GPT, UEFI/Secureboot very fast and reliable, many month ahead of Acronis, with few to none bugs in their releases .
    Very disappointed and I feel Acronis is going to my dust bin soon.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not sure if I will continue to use Acronis after last week. I attempted to restore a backup and it failed. I run differential backups, and it stopped and was asking for other files. It was treating it as though they were incremental backups. I make differentials so I can delete the intermediate backups to free up space. Not pleased. :mad:

10. routerguy99

routerguy99 Registered Member

Since the problems with 6514;
    I picked up Macrium Reflect pro.
    I did a few test yesterday ; is seemed to work out just fine.
    I know now I have a good image.

Chris

11. Gorkster

Gorkster Registered Member

Threads like this make me so happy to have made the decision to leave Acronis just under a year ago. It reminds me of all the problems I dealt with for over a year after giving up on Symantec releasing something new and switching to Acronis. ATI was a nightmare. (And of course Symantec has released a new version of SSR since - but I'm happily using Macrium's software now.)

I guess what I'm truly trying to say is that Acronis True Image has been a nightmare for at least three years - this isn't anything new.

12. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

Please. In all fairness Windows 8/Secure Boot; and UEFI/GPT vs BIOS and/or MBR boot have each caused various problems in various different areas of computer system usage that have nothing to do with Acronis products.

Earlier in this thread, Wilders Security Poster "oliverjia" stated "the linux boot usb works fine on my UEFI Secure boot enabled windows 8 x64, partitoned using GPT." Nevertheless subsequent posters have completely ignored this comment.

I am using Acronis True Image 2013, on Windows 7 x64/UEFI with System installed on GPT with absolutely no problems whatsoever (somewhat to my surprise, as I expected UEFI boot to generate various problems in various different system areas that haven't yet materialized). No True Image problems with Windows 7 running; and no problems using the True Image Linux disk.

Nevertheless, it should be apparent to anyone who wishes to be objective that Windows 8/ Secure boot does cause, and has caused, various problems as Windows 8 UEFI/Secure Boot system, by design, imposes a system limitation on what can otherwise be booted by the system, and how it can be booted. There are plenty of Linux threads and articles documenting this...

Moreover, various motherboard manufacturers have implemented Windows 8 UEFI/Secure boot in different configurations; some more user friendly than others. UEFI, itself, is implemented differently by different motherboard suppliers causing various different types of problems for various individuals; for example; turning UEFI 'on' and 'off' can be problematic in differing degrees on different systems; some USB boot disks can be booted in either UEFI or MBR mode depending in user selection in 'bios'; some systems require use of specific USB ports for UEFI and/or secure boot; etc., etc., etc., ....

Such problems are not of Acronis' design, and cannot be attributed to Acronis.

User issues reported by 'User A' that 'Product A' doesn't work, doesn't mean that 'Product B' will work for 'User A' under identical conditions, without testing. Nor does it mean that the same will hold true for 'User B' who uses a different system. The fact that 'Product B' does work for 'User B' does not mean that 'Product A' does not work for 'User B' under identical conditions, without testing... etc., etc, ...

The plain truth is that Windows 8/Secure Boot is problematic in various different scenarios; and that UEFI with GPT and/or MBR can be problematic in various different situations depending on the motherboard and usage.

Thanks.

__

13. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I am still glad I ditched Acronis over a year ago. They're not worth the time...

14. xxJackxx

True, but those things are not everyone's complaint. My complaint is that I have had Acronis 2013 fail to restore images I have made, twice, making it totally useless. This is not related to the above mentioned problems, I do not use any of those things (I use Windows 8, but no secure boot). I miss the True Image Echo products, never had an issue. Too bad that product was discontinued. True Image Home 2010 was even pretty reliable, but I have not been greatly impressed with anything since. :(

15. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

Windows 8 backup and restore problems are numerous -- just do a Google search for "Windows 8 backup problem" for a day or so of reading. If you are using Windows 8, with or without secure boot, chances are that your system has UEFI and defaults to UEFI. Chances are also good that your problems are UEFI related.

You did not identify your motherboard model and manufacturer. Chances are that if you bother to research it you will find other users of your motherboard who have similar backup and restore problems; and you'll possibly find the solution to your own problem.

Windows 8 causes numerous other problems, for example, with TrueCrypt encryption of non-system partitions, with or without secure boot.

Glad I didn't waste the time or money on Windows 8. Indeed after learning of all the Windows 8 and UEFI problems, particularly with backup and restore, I have just finished restoring my BIOS-based Windows 7 x64, MBR based setup. My UEFI setup was a test run over the past several days; I saw no benefits. The supposed faster boot time never materialized -- if anything boot time was slower.

BTW the restore process using ATIH was simple, very fast, and flawless. No problems. All done in a matter of minutes.

Sorry for your Windows 8 problems. Perhaps you'd have fewer problems with Windows 7.

__

16. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Acronis True Image Home 2013 is one of the best. Since it is used by millions and millions therefore problems do crop out once a while. I have not seen an imaging program that doesn't fully restore the image once a while.

Best regards,

17. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Far from the best for me amongst all I tried until I settled with Macrium. Nowhere near one of the best. I've had Acronis 2010 to 2012 and then couldn't take it anymore.

18. draman

draman Registered Member

I AM OWNING ACRONIS SOFTWARE SINCE ATI 10 TO ATI 2012. SO FAR IT HAS NEVER FAILED ME. I DO SIMPLE BACKUP AND RESTORE AND NO OTHER EXTRA FUNCTION. EVEN THOUGH I OWN MACRIUM PROF, SHADOWPROTECT, O&O DISKIMAGE, MY BACKUP IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT ACRONIS. TRULY A VERY GOOD SOFTWARE AS FAR ME IS CONCERNED.

19. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Holy screaming caps, Batman....

20. treehouse786

i have never had a failure from Acronis (any version) but that could be because i only do full disk imaging without splitting. i notice xxJackxx chose differential, that is exactly why i never split files with any imaging program

21. xxJackxx

This is exactly the cause of my last issue. I delete some of the differential files (the reason for using differential over incremental) and it treated it like they were incremental files and couldn't restore because they were missing. I have used older versions of Acronis both personally and professionally for many years and have not had this issue previously. It is a bug that they need to fix. The primary use of this product is to make and restore backups. It should excel at those things. I do not care about the features they keep adding. I have far too much data for online backups. They need to go back to a more basic product, or offer one in parallel to the current product. Or lose customers. Their choice.

22. treehouse786

true, i have found active active@ disk image to be a perfect replacement for the bloated acronis.

i still use acronis as a secondary imaging tool as i like the restore process but i also keep 5 ADI images for every acronis image

23. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The best thing about Acronis is that it is fast and it allows for consolidations of incremental images. Two to five incremental images are sufficient and it automatically deletes the rest.

ShadowProtect does the similar but with greater pocket expense. Therefore, there is no need for differential images and manually deleting them. Leave everything to automatic.

Best regards,

P.S. You still own it, therefore try it.

24. xxJackxx

Thanks for the tip. I will try it.

25. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

Well I hosed 2 new Ultrabooks, a Sony and an Acer with this build and they were not repairable. One restoring an image file and the other installing the program so count me amongst those who will never use this program again!

What a shame I was a ten year user with no issues but personally I think that got so much into meaningless additions to a successful program, that they lost sight of what it was needed to do between "Secure Zone", "Smart Phone Synch", "Cloud Storage" and all the other silliness that detracted from the real purpose of the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.