Update 3995

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bandi, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meardon

Meardon Registered Member

Usually, when a big update is released the servers tend to crash if too many people try to download from them. I suppose that the update is replicated gradually to the update servers, in order to avoid a total crash.

2. dorgane

dorgane Guest

after cleaning cache it run :) i have now 3996

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It doesn't depend on the cache content. Everytime you run a manual update, the program connects to a different update server so it's likely it connected to a server capable of delivering the update. There's a pretty big chance you'd currently update on the second attempt if the first one fails providing that you are a registered user.

4. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I'm still on Test Mode and have 3997 today, FW is still .44

5. littiman

littiman Registered Member

Looks like signatures 3996 and 3997 are equally big... No success in updating from 3994 yet... Are all the servers having this problem? Or are all on downtime for replication of signature databases? Particularly, the trial servers...

6. ATC

ATC Registered Member

3995 was under 1mb on my system and 3996/3997 were both small as well. None of them required reboots.

7. voirin

voirin Registered Member

What is wrong with ESS? It's a comedy. I just don't get it... I'm also on update 3994. That means I'm four updates behind the current i.e. 3997!!! And yes I have been trying to manually update like there is no tomorrow. It's frustrating to open the application and see it tell me that I have the latest update when I clearly do not. When I read this forum it's the same old story about eset update servers. When trying to update, why can't the server send a signal to ESS indicating that my version of ESS is NOT up-to-date? That would consume minimal bandwidth. Eset have been having issues with their update servers for years. It's frustrating and causes mistrust in the application. I never have these problems when running Kaspersky's KIS. I have been trialling ESS from time to time just to see how it's development is going. It always comes down to the update servers. Apparently they have technical/financial issues with either expanding their update server pool, or the application update approach is severely archaic and ugly and needs major revision. Just to reiterate, i am on the latest trial version.

8. littiman

I agree with Voirin. My friend uses the latest Kaspersky Internet Security and it doesnt seem to have any problem in updating, ever. I mustve tried updating manually over a hundred times. Its either 0/0kb or 3/3kb and nothing else. Keeps saying that its up to date, even though Im stuck at 3994. I cannot understand how nearly 30 or so update servers cant update my signature database, although in some cases, like ATCs, it works... Im tired of this... This thing has happened some 3 or 4 times in a row, since I got the first version nearly a year ago... Question is, why must Eset suddenly release such huge updates so that it clogs all the servers? Ah well, hopefully it will work tomorrow... I like eset but this is too much...

9. BTIsaac

BTIsaac Registered Member

It worked for me. I had to try it manually, and it worked at the 2nd attempt. 3997 was downloaded automatically, half an hour later.

10. littiman

Ok. Guess I will wait for the automatic update to work... After nearly 2 hours, I havent seen any change... So... let me see what comes of it tomorrow...

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I truly cannot believe how paranoid people are about waiting an extra hour or two. Here's an idea that I put into practice all the time: There's an hourly updating schedule by default, so install it and ignore it.. go do something else and it will probably be updated when you're back. ESS/EAV are perfect set it and forget it programs.

12. littiman

Point taken, elapsed. Ill wait...

13. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Everything is back to normal on my XP machine. I haven't turned on my Vista machine yet but I would imagine it's back to normal as well.

14. patch

patch Registered Member

You guys have a really weird way of attempt to achieve this.
    Two beta's then a public release when lots of identified bugs persisted.
    Then going on to say software can't be tested is a wide range of user configurations so don't do public updated for about 12 months.

Seams to me these guy's have a much more effecient way of widely testing complex software prior to public release http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34522&start=15
    Take particular note of the frequency and number of beta releases.

15. voirin

voirin Registered Member

2009-04-09 16:12 Update 3997 ( 20090409 )
    2009-04-09 08:00 Update 3996 ( 20090409 )
    2009-04-08 17:53 Update 3995 ( 20090408 )
    2009-04-07 22:06 Update 3994 ( 20090407 )

2 hrs? More like 2 days behind. Maybe you seamlessly get your updates whenever they are made available. But half of us have to wait days. The application no longer becomes a proactive form of defence since the db remains stagnant. Rather, it turns reactive to what ills I have already downloaded 2 days ago.

Perfect in your world, but not when ESS remains lethargic and ill-responsive to critical updates for so many other users. Its an embarrassment to the company.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  16. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

let us all calm down a bit. There were some server issues (business), but now everything is back to normal. And even if ESS is set to check every hour for an updates, that doesn't mean they release updates on a hourly basis, more like 2-3 per day, and 1 or none over weekends.

I have no more issues with manual updates, works every single time, but as Marcos said you need to be registered user for this, otherwise you need to trigger manual update 20+ times in order to get an actual update (if there's one).I guess it has something to do with priorities.

Cheers,
    Miki

17. littiman

I agree with what you say, miki69 but I wonder why these server issues keep cropping up... Seems to cause some level of anxiety for users, particularly those using the trial versions... Looks like were all update fanatics... Priorities? Please expand on what is meant by 'priorities'; i dont get it...

18. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

well, to he honest, I don't know either, but until you enter your username/password it seems that every 20+ manual update will work. I have experienced this myself, used to get 0kb/0kb, and than after 25th try it would actually connect to server (resulting in 3kb). Since I have registered product I ALWAYS get 3kb, no matter how many times I try manual update (so, that's what I call priorities). I believe servers will first let registered users to connect, and than (when less busy) non-registered, which is kind of stupid IMO, as people should have fair chance of evaluating product. But than again you get TRIAL password for 30 days. Maybe ESET folks can give us more info on this.

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed. Refrain from personal attacks on the forum.

20. voirin

voirin Registered Member

Here here. An explanation from ESET would be most welcome and liberating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.