Unthreat Free 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Unthreat Started very well in the market by high detections,Vipre engine and low system usage..... but it got weaker after some spell.

How is 2013 ?

http://www.unthreat.com/

Any Review or experience?

2. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Check VB 100 for it. Does OK but people report the owners have a dodgy past, doesn't prove UnThreat is putting out spyware however.

3. ChoiceVoice

ChoiceVoice Registered Member

i have a weak netbook (atom n450). avast was to heavy for it. tried mse for a while and toooo heavy (slow downs, slow boots etc). unthreat restored my netbook's performance - it's fabulous. it is the lightest antivirus i've tried (besides webroot, a paid one). and, according to virus bulletin, it scored better than mse (admittedly, that's not too hard now-a-days, lol): http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index. it uses the vipre engine, so it's reputable. i went to zemana anti keylogger site to download their test keylogger (for other reasons) and unthreat blocked it's download:) that's nice to see. it still has some little bugs to work out (it has auto update which i turned off, but i still get auto update complete notifications sometimes. and it doesn't have a right click mouse scan, though it claims it has in the settings. it has a notification or something that appears in the task bar and stays there: which is better than a pop up and better than ads). but for the solid scanning and light performance, it's a no brainer.

i've seen some criticisms posted around the net which are not true or unsupported. i read that the interface pops up with windows start up. not true. i read that the real time protection is turned off at start up to make it seem like it has better performance. not true. i've heard that the owners are shady. but have seen no write up as to what that means or whyo_O

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Agree totally with ChoiceVoice,

its light, clean and effective and just what I`ve been looking for. You might want to pair it up with a hips/antiexecutable though and it will still run very light on any system.

Nice GUI, non intrusive, regular updates with VIPRE signatures and decent detection rates..... whats not to like.:rolleyes:

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

only drawback is the vipre engine is not that great nowadays imo

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Version 2013 has been out a while. I'm interested to see if they change anything for 2014.

7. Behold Eck

Further development would be great but I hope they dont try and fix something that is`nt broke.

8. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

I was using it until yesterday for a few months.
    It was generally OK, but also not 100% stable and did slow my system down.
    What sealed it for me was a h/w failure which had me change over to my spare (newer) PC and just import what I need from the older one.
    So for now it's back to NOD32 for me...and maybe 360 I.S. when that expires...

9. Behold Eck

Too bad that Unthreat did`nt agree with your system smallhagrid. but it runs just fine on mine even under system wide sandboxing.

I did have a few problems with 360 IS on win7 64 bit so I was well pleased that Unthreat ran so good and light.

Zfactor`s probably right that Vipre might have slipped a bit during the year but as I was looking for an AV to compliment my other security apps not as a stand alone solution then it was perfect for me.

It also did alright in some of the youtube tests and also with my own "wee" testing attempts.

Well I hope you find one to suit your needs and serve you well.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.