UnThreat Antivirus Free Edition 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloud, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I thought we were way past this in this day & age. Absolute deal breaker.

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

+1 :'(
    :thumbd: :thumbd:

3. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Well they are a newer, much smaller company than AVG, etc. I'm sure each us would understand the exact reasons if we worked for the company, maybe?

4. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Today I downloaded the free version. Coz today when I checked the site & clicked on download it showed me a new window like download free & download paid. I thought the new version with manual updates that was going to release have been released. I downloaded & installed the free & it asked for restart. After restart it started the very first database update. Later when I started the system I got the Unthreat window to continue the trial version or enter the purchased serial number. No option to continue the free version. And the free version was converted to trial.

Anyone experienced this with the free version? And are you getting updates with the free version automatic or manual?

Thanx
    Naren

5. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

I received an email yesterday, from the support.They are saying that the free version goes now with auto updates, slower than the paid one.

6. khanyash

I am constantly in touch with them through email.

They mentioned that new version with updates have been released but they didn't mention auto or manual. Thanx for confirming its auto. Is it very slow or make the system sluggish during update? Can you tell how many times it updates in a day?

I have mentioned to them few minor bugs & they have fixed it. 1-2 very minor bugs sent them today.

They are going to start a forum very soon.

And I must say their support is fast & helpful. For all my emails I received the response from 5 min to half an hour. Impressed.

Thanx
    Naren

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good to know that Naren...:)

8. khanyash

Unthreat Forum Released

http://www.unthreat.com/forums/

By the way I also asked them now what is the difference between the autoupdate in free & paid version?

They replied "The update in the free version is a bit slower than our paid version, however our incremental updates are no more than 100-200kb so they are still downloaded quickly. Other than that, there are no differences."

I also asked them Unthreat uses Vipre engine but I find difference in detection of Unthreat & Vipre, why?

They replied "There might be slight differences between us and Vipre because they recently released their new version with a new engine. We will soon have it in-house and upgrade it."

I must say awesome support.

Thanx
    Naren

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I registered to their forum..:)

10. khanyash

I too registered.

11. woomera

woomera Registered Member

installed it on a VBox 7 x64 at restart i got a file (think it was a dll file) registration error but system booted fine and it works really dont have time to throw some virus's at it and see how it works. gonna just wait for web test results.
    good share, ty

update 1: ok i just tried to run nirsoft and Cain on the machine just for fun and this one didnt warn or block for any of the files copied and ran? i mean i know these are not real virus's but still password hijackers/sniffers ...comon! even kingsoft would've caught these as malware/riskware.
    im not gonna touch this one again.

update 2: now i cant uninstall it, the uninstall window is stuck.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Nirsoft seems safe enough. I couldn't find any info on Cain though.
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/nirsoft.net (Webmaster commented)
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/nirsoft.net

But you can not base your conclusion off these two little programs, besides it uses the Vipre engine. ;) I mean.. come on! And Kingsoft has been doing better these days. :thumb: :argh:

OT: Btw is that a red-haired Gotenks as your avatar?

13. woomera

woomera Registered Member

of course the web rep is good cause its a very handy utility for admins but still since password sniffers/grabbers are in there all AV's warn for them.

lol i think thats the name, yeah. its a character from a cartoon called Dragonballz i used to watch it as a kid.

14. khanyash

They have removed opencandy from the installation.

Thanx
    Naren

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

That's good news.

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Unthreat Free is improving very fast. Triple-A's will soon start getting huge competition once more people will learn about it. Long live Unthreat guys...:D

17. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I tried it for 2 days..the only problem i noticed was it was detecting something in a folder that i had excluded in the settings...and that it needs a web protection module to compete the triple A's

18. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Do you think I should have this listed in my site's top 5 free antiviruses over Microsoft Security Essentials or no? I'm not trying to make this an A vs B post but I know MSE is not the best and I feel like recommending a different AV in its place. It also does really well in Virus Bulletin's RAP test.

And what engines does it use again?

19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Vipre.

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Apart from Avast which A has web protection in free version?:eek:

21. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

AVG - Linkscanner

Avira also has web protection, if you install the toolbar that is.

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oh! I see but that's browser dependent not web traffic scanning..! Anyway I got you ..:)

23. Brandonn2010

I used to think web scanning was really important, but if it doesn't catch it on the web it will still catch it once it gets onto your hard drive (hopefully).

24. Brandonn2010

These posts have me a bit confused

1. Does it still have OpenCandy?

2. Does it have auto-updates now?

3. Would it be worth mentioning in my top-5 free antiviruses on my website instead of MSE?

25. khanyash

1. No.

2. Yes.

Currently I find it better than AVG, Avast, Comodo AV Only(D+ Excluded) & MSE. I did 3 tests with 30 Zero-Day malware each time. In all the tests UnThreat was better than the mentioned AV's, both protection & cleaning. UnThreat also has registry scanner i.e it also removes malware registry entries(Not many AV's have registry scanner). In my 3 tests, Avira was on top once & UnThreat was on top twice, but both did well & the difference was not much.

3. Yes, try it & then decide on which place from 1-5 it should be.

WebProtection - Most AV's WebProtection is not different than the Main RealTime Shield so the protection is the same but little benefit is that the threats are detected little earlier.

UnThreat staff mentioned that WebProtection is in the paid version but Free version's Realtime Protection is capable of detecting script & activex malware on the web i.e websites.

Thanxx
    Naren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.