Untangle Re-Router™ Technology

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mack_guy911, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. mjgent

mjgent Registered Member

Re: Untangle Re-Router™ Technology

From what I understand Untangle can be anywhere on a hub or switch within a network (parallel) as opposed to a traditional serial or inline setup where it is usually installed after a modem but before a switch (or router if in bridge mode). It will redirect network traffic to itself and then redirect it out to the modem or to a switch/other computers. YeOldeStonecat should know more since he's very familiar with Untangle from reading his previous posts.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

Re-router is an "all in one VMWare for Windows Bundle"...it installs VMWare for Windows, as well as the special VMWare version of Untangle...all auto configured for you during the install process. Just a single NIC is required.

It's meant for as a "test drive", or sales tool....to see if you like Untangle. Through some special trickery, it will automatically configure itself to run in bridged mode, behind your existing router. All other PCs on your network, through its special trickery, will have their internet traffic pass through it. Some higher end managed switches will prevent it from working though, due to the arp spoofing technique it uses to trick the network into using it for passing through.

Technically you can use it in a production environment..for small networks (like home sized or small biz of a handful of PCs). The PC you install it on may run a little sluggish, unless you have a potent multi-core unit stuffed with RAM.

It's a very cool distro, I've already implemented it into quite a few clients business networks (the full dedicated server, not re-router)

4. mjgent

mjgent Registered Member

Thanks, I figured you'd know. I've only played around with the full iso on a dedicated machine. :thumb:

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

I'm glad they ditched the java interface, version 6 was released several weeks ago (a newer one just 2 weeks ago)...full web interface now, much quicker admin response.

6. mjgent

mjgent Registered Member

I'll have to try out the new version. I was using the old java one. I was thinking of setting one up for my home but with only two computers on the lan it seems kind of over kill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.