unsuccessful: Want to migrate Windows C: from one partion on main drive to second dr

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bob13bob, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob13bob

bob13bob Registered Member

old: 2tb (3 partions)
    D: primary
    E: logical / media
    C: logical / Windows drive

new: 250gb

When I restore the C: to new drive, MBR too,
    -It doesn't work (boots to a blank black screen after).
    -I then restored C: and D: to the new drive, still wouldn't boot.
    -I tried used windows dvd to "repair" the boot files > same problem

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-06TW-7rQk88/Trq_xzgBfnI/AAAAAAAAEko/RilV3yFkB80/s800/partmagic.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JHwKgFqL9JI/TrrAAsRmS3I/AAAAAAAAEk0/tsOFuNvvhbM/s800/disk_management.JPG

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Your System Partition is Logical drive. In such situation Windows stores boot files (bootmgr and other critical files) in the first primary partition.

Please try the following:

1) Create primary partition of the required size on the target 250GB HDD.

2) Restore C: to the created partition.

3) Verify that the partition is primary, not logical.
    // If it is Logical, right-click it and select "Convert to primary". Apply changes.
    Note: option to convert Logical to Primary is not included to all Paragon programs.

4) Run File Transfer Wizard from Paragon program and browse source D: drive
    Check if there is 'Boot' folder and \ or files:
    bootmgr
    BOOTSECT.BAK
    Transfer all found files to restored System partition (do not overwrite existing files if any)

5) Then verify that the restored partition is Active: right-click the partition and select "Mark as Active" . Apply changes.

6) Once completed, disconnect the original (source) drive and boot from Windows Repair CD or Windows Installation CD and perform startup repair.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.