unsuccessful: Want to migrate Windows C: from one partion on main drive to second dr

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bob13bob, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob13bob

bob13bob Registered Member

old: 2tb (3 partions)
    D: primary
    E: logical / media
    C: logical / Windows drive

new: 250gb

When I restore the C: to new drive, MBR too,
    -It doesn't work (boots to a blank black screen after).
    -I then restored C: and D: to the new drive, still wouldn't boot.
    -I tried used windows dvd to "repair" the boot files > same problem

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-06TW-7rQk88/Trq_xzgBfnI/AAAAAAAAEko/RilV3yFkB80/s800/partmagic.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JHwKgFqL9JI/TrrAAsRmS3I/AAAAAAAAEk0/tsOFuNvvhbM/s800/disk_management.JPG

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Your System Partition is Logical drive. In such situation Windows stores boot files (bootmgr and other critical files) in the first primary partition.

Please try the following:

1) Create primary partition of the required size on the target 250GB HDD.

2) Restore C: to the created partition.

3) Verify that the partition is primary, not logical.
    // If it is Logical, right-click it and select "Convert to primary". Apply changes.
    Note: option to convert Logical to Primary is not included to all Paragon programs.

4) Run File Transfer Wizard from Paragon program and browse source D: drive
    Check if there is 'Boot' folder and \ or files:
    bootmgr
    BOOTSECT.BAK
    Transfer all found files to restored System partition (do not overwrite existing files if any)

5) Then verify that the restored partition is Active: right-click the partition and select "Mark as Active" . Apply changes.

6) Once completed, disconnect the original (source) drive and boot from Windows Repair CD or Windows Installation CD and perform startup repair.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.