Unsolved issues

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Jeroen1000, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeroen1000

Jeroen1000 Registered Member

Hi Joe,

I still have following long standing issues (can't imagine I'm alone here). Could you please shed some light as to when they will make the agenda:

- The @ sign still doubles on HTTPS websites because of identity shield.
    - Num-lock intermittently stops working (this only recently a few updates back). I fear this is also caused by identity shield.
    - When the firewall is at its most aggressive setting, the computer freezes for 2-4 minutes before Webroot displays the allow, block, or allow once screen

Jeroen

2. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

When you reported this in the thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=313284, you clarified in response to a query by Joe that you use a (French Belgium) AZERTY keyboard. I also use a French Belgium AZERTY keyboard and have reported this issue several times to this Forum. Other posters have also reported the same issue and it always seems to involve a French or French Belgium AZERTY keyboard.

Hoping this will soon be resolved (I can find one of your posts going back to October 2011!!)

EDIT:
    Like Jeroen1000, I also use Firefox (latest version: 13.0). I have just tested HTTPS with my other two browsers IE9 and Chrome using the "Open a Support Ticket" option on the Webroot Customer Support Page, and instead of getting the doubling of the @, I get a vocal complaint from my computer in the form of the Windows Ding.wav sound file.

I should also add that from time to time as with the previous thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=325982, my padlock fails to show on HTTPS pages (and sometimes does show when I am not on HTTPS pages). This non-appearance of the padlock happened earlier this morning and the @ key behaved normally, suggesting that the padlock non-appearance is possibly more than just a cosmetic issue??

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I also was having some issues with my native keyboard, especially letters with graphic accents. However it was long ago at the time of Prevx 3 (before Webroot acquired Prevx). It was very annoying and obtrusive. So I fully understand your frustration.

BTW, did you open a support ticket for your troubles? If not you can do that at http://www.webroot.com/En_US/support-wsa-products.html and clicking Open a Support Ticket. I ask intentionally because this forum here on the Wilders is not regularly visited by Webroot support engineers except PrevxHelp who does his utmost, as always, but in his current position (VP of Webroot) he has naturally a lot of other stuff to do.

EDIT: @ Muddy3, sorry I have overlooked you have edited your post. Seeing it, it looks like you read my posts about malfunctioning Identity shield in the Webroot community forums :)

4. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

Good point, Pegas.

Unless Joe advises to the contrary, I'll try and find a spare moment in the next couple of weeks and open a support ticket with this issue. I think I've written down all the essentials here so it'll be largely a copy and paste operation!

EDIT: @Pegas, no problem, just crossed communications, ie. your post and my edit were posted almost simultaneously! No, I haven't yet looked at your Webroot Community Forum posts, will look later :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  5. Jeroen1000

I logged it to support about 3 times and even had a engineer connect to both my laptop and my desktop. Advice at the time was to disable portions of ID-shield and set the firewall to use its white list. I personally like my firewall to yell whenever something needs networking so that is not really a viable option to me.

I now have to set programs to allow instead of monitor every so often because otherwise the firewall will freeze my system. I hoped the issue would get solved by as updates go by, but as nothing changes I'm thinking of removing WSA because I can't ask my less techy friends and family to occupy themselves with WSA settings.

I hope that bringing these issues to Joe's attention again will speed things up :)

But do open a ticket guys!:) We really need this looked after!

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks for clearing the things up. They are indeed pending issues then ;)

7. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

@ Jeroen1000:
    My ticket will be about the double @@ problem on HTTPS pages (ID-Shield conflict?) as I'm not aware at this moment of any firewall problems on my machine.

8. Jeroen1000

I'm happy with every issue solved lol. The firewall issue is on 1 machine only so I suspect it must be something unique to it I have not yet discovered.

9. guest

guest Guest

I had this @@ problem in the past days too, using a german keyboard to enter dropbox.com account (running WRSA Essentials). - And I also hear often that sound when using @ key. Both things are quite annoying and I would like that being fixed. ;)

10. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

I also had the @@ issue a few weeks back (now all is fine) when entering passwords in TrueCrypt and with other forms (I can't remember any right now). I didn't think it could be WSAC... :p :p :p

11. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Hi

I also have the numlock issue, turning off the ID shield does brings it back to normal. Not a huge issue for me, but just wanted to say you're not alone. :)

12. webbit

webbit Registered Member

i have number lock issue thought keyboard was on its way out

13. Jeroen1000

Now we just need Joe to join with good news. :)

14. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

These issues are all under investigation still. We have a number of changes coming soon and have been making a great deal of progress on other areas, but these are all on the list.

15. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

That's great to hear :)

So it sounds as if it would be superfluous to report these issues as they are already under investigation and/or in the "to do" list. Having said that, I might submit a report about the different reactions I get, when entering the @ key, from FF on the one hand and IE9 and Chrome on the other, as this may—who knows—help towards illuminating the source of the problem.

16. Jeroen1000

The firewall-freezing-the-system issue may get resolved soon:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2079763#post2079763

I've updated the first post to resemble this and I've added an extra issue. Oke:) it appears I cannot edit the first post. So I'll put it in this post.

WSA version in use is 8.0.1.198 (available for beta users)

- "NEW" issue (just one I forgot to mention): When shutting down or rebooting, WRSA.exe does not want to close. I have to use the "END NOW" button in the Windows dialogue that pops up. This appears to happen a lot more on a full administrator account and less so on a normal user account. I only experience this issue with a Windows XP SP3 system. Not with Windows 7.
    - The @ sign still doubles on HTTPS websites because of identity shield.
    - Num-lock intermittently stops working (this only recently a few updates back). I fear this is also caused by identity shield.
    - When the firewall is at its most aggressive setting, the computer freezes for 2-4 minutes before Webroot displays the allow, block, or allow once screen. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2079763#post2079763. I only experience this issue with a Windows XP SP3 system. Not with Windows 7

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  17. Jeroen1000

WSA version in use is 8.0.1.203 (available for all users)

- "NEW" issue (just one I forgot to mention): When shutting down or rebooting, WRSA.exe does not want to close. I have to use the "END NOW" button in the Windows dialogue that pops up. This appears to happen a lot more on a full administrator account and less so on a normal user account. I only experience this issue with a Windows XP SP3 system. Not with Windows 7. Still broken
    - The @ sign still doubles on HTTPS websites because of identity shield. Also doubles #{| and every other character on that row. Still broken
    - Num-lock intermittently stops working (this only recently a few updates back). I fear this is also caused by identity shield. Need to reverify
    - When the firewall is at its most aggressive setting, the computer freezes for 2-4 minutes before Webroot displays the allow, block, or allow once screen. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2079763#post2079763. I only experience this issue with a Windows XP SP3 system. Not with Windows 7. Still broken

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  18. PrevxHelp

Thanks - we're looking into these.

19. Jeroen1000

No problem:). I've got one XP system that is not used too often. So I try to test the new version there. You may always connect remotely if needed.

20. Jeroen1000

Hi Joe,

I've read the changelog, and apart from the numlock, which of the above issues have been fixed?

The XP-system that is not used often (this is the one I test all issues with as it runs a full non-beta version) is unavailable to me until next week so I can't reverify the above issues at the moment.

as a side note:
    I've now just reinstalled my beta version of WRSA on my main XP system and hope it does not BSOD on me (which is likely due to Comodo not liking WSA or the other way around). It often BSOD'd on shutdown...

21. guest

guest Guest

Because of the thread title UNSOLVED ISSUES I am posting this here, couldn't find the original thread where - I believe also - Jeroen1000 (and others including me?) posted about a bug that is really annoying too.

And yes, this bug I get on a WinXP SP3 system of a relative with the v8.0.2.103 build (and the ones before) is long due to be fixed:

Not always but too often the first key pressed when for example using the google search field in Firefox is "swallowed" by Webroot (or at least I believe that) somehow ... the 2nd key and further ones are then no problem anymore. It happens to my knowledge only in browser, not elsewhere on the system so it is NOT a problem of keyboard.

It would be great if this could get (back?) on the agenda. I know that XP is soon outdated if not right now already, I understand that Win7 and 8 are much more important, but if it could be fixed many people still on XP would be very happy I think. ;)

On this one I am not sure right now, but it could be I have it fixed with a simple change in registry:

That same system had an event (2004?) of NetPerf (?) quite often and I believe (could be wrong though!) it was always at the time when system was frozen. That happened when executing new programs or updating them so it seemed to me to be again a problem of Webroot firewall included in WSA. - A while ago that bug was fixed I thought. Back then some popup window didn't come to front so we could not ALLOW the internet connection and then system appeared to be frozen in the meantime. But IIRC after a few minutes one could use the system again.

Yesterday I had again those freezes (which not resolved after a few minutes) and then searched for a solution to that strange event (2004?) ... and I found something related to "performance counter" (?)

I believe I disabled the performance counter (not knowing what that means) and then the entry (ID 2004?) was gone from there. And since then this system also didn't show the freezes again (so far!), which could be of course only a coincidence. - If someone should have the same problem I could post here probably the exact registry I changed, but right now I don't have it available (it was on another system). - And maybe freezes are back soon, then this would be of course another bug for the list and I will let you know. ;)

I don't have any problem so far with the newest build of WSA on Windows 7, it's performing better than ever! And I am even more sorry now, that some people running WSA on XP seem to have problems, at least I know one person who has. ;)

Whatever, if this is not fixed in 2014 when XP has reached EOL that person will probably switch to 7 or later anyway. ;)

22. Jeroen1000

Hi guest. I've just reinstalled webroot, but unfortunately I haven't many days left (while I thought extra days had been added for beta users?).

I'll try to test in during the days I have left but I'm not going to pay for it unless I'm really really sure all those annoying issues are fixed. If Joe is listening, extra test days are most welcome.

23. PrevxHelp

We will be pushing out the change to add days to beta users soon, but you can continue using it as-is in the meantime without it acting differently or expiring early.

24. guest

guest Guest

Hi Jeroen1000,

IIRC I had installed the recent v8.0.2.118 already on that mentioned XP system of a relative and I can therefore report that the "WSA swallows first character"-problem (see above) was NOT solved so far. Or maybe it was still the beta version before that (112?), don't know. But I am sure something will be done about that issue in the future. :D

I have still 38 days left on my beta license btw. :)

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have 365 days left just like it has always been since I signed up as one of the original 'closed' beta testers in 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.