I started with Paragon Backup and Restore 9 on Win XP SP3 32-bit My original files were on a 1TB RAID 0 that I was going to replace with a 2TB RAID 10 I was also going to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit My computer only has 6 SATA ports, and a RAID 10 takes up at least 4. I decided to use the other two ports to hold my Blu-Ray drive and a non-raided 1TB backup drive I backed up my original files onto that 1TB drive before doing anything. I used File-Level backups since I did not intend to restore an entire partition and only needed certain project files. I ran integrity checks on my backups and everything seemed fine. Afterwards, I powered everything off, took out the RAID 0 drives, put in 4 brand new drives and set them up for RAID 10. I also installed Windows 7 64 bit and everything seemed OK. Since I was now on a new 64-bit OS, I downloaded Paragon Drive Backup and Restore Suite 10 64-bit Trial Version PDBRS1064 couldn't "enter" any of the *.pfi files from the archive view, but I was able to run the various "File Transfer" and "Restore" operations which were able to browse those files and allow me to select things to restore. However, when restoring, one of two things will happen: Paragon will crash partway through restoring files with the message: "A Part of Paragon Drive Backup And Restore has stopped working" (and there is hardly any info) Sometimes the restore works, but I get "Access to a file or folder is denied" on several of the items I'm trying to restore. These problems have occurred also on the PDBR workstation editions and on the free edition as well. To resolve the "access denied" errors, I took ownership of the target drive, disabled Avast! antivirus, disabled UAC completely, set all file permissions to "Full Control" for all users, and unset all read-only flags recursively on the target drive. Thanks for reading all that -- sorry for the wall of text!