Unprotected PCs can be hijacked in minutes

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

USAToday

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's true...!!!

Some of my friends, in the past, just install the Windows, connect to the Internet and catch virus, spywares, etc. in a few moments...
    An I still see a lot of others persons doing the same, and starting to saying that the computers are very slow and think that they have a slow PC...

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Well, I suppose that the good news is that XP SP2 is safe enough.

Good news also that linux is a bit more secure in this area :)

But as I said, good news for SP2 owners. Pity it took so many years for Microsoft to deliver the goods. Even more pity for the non SP2 users :doubt:

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yes, lucky I've got a firewall on my computer right from the day I bought it, with a firewall I've been extremely safe from wild trojans attempting to break-in. I can tell you that since I'm using a cable broadband internet connection, from the moment I turn on my computer I'm already under attack. Lucky my firewall is blocking them.

My message to those people who never installed a firewall to protect their systems: Install a firewall immediately right now, or else be prepared to have your computer compromised by hackers and trojans.

5. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

Test results underscored the value of keeping up to date with security patches and using a firewall. Computer security experts say firewalls, which restrict online access to the guts of the PC operating system, represent a crucial first line of defense against cyberintruders. Yet, an estimated 67% of consumers do not use a firewall, according to the National Cyber Security Alliance.

That's an astonishing figure...ouch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.