Unlocking Your Mobile Phone Is Now Illegal

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Mman79, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Not that bad according to the article.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, there are a couple of legitimate options and, well, some folks will break the chains law or not. In my opinion they shouldn't be tied to networks in the first place. Imagine your home computer being tied to one ISP. Hardware shouldn't be locked down in any way.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In some countries carriers are obliged by law to sell all phones unlocked.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I read about this earlier. I hope it doesn't come to my country.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't think this will stop people from unlocking their devices. :rolleyes:

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Not a problem for me because the phones I buy are never every locked to any carrier - they can only be bought unlocked.

But this is bad news for those living in the US, even though it won't stop people unlocking their phones.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, it is kind of a contract, people will get $500 phone for $1, and all they have to do, is to use it with the selected mobile phone operator, whom they picked after all.

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I really don't get it. What is the problem with unlocking your SIM to use the phone in another network? In my country, the contract always favours the phone company, so even if you unlock your phone and move to another network you will have to pay monthly to the first network operator until the contract expires (or pay some serious penalties if you want to cancel the contract before it's time).
    I think that the phones shouldn't be locked, but the contracts should not allow you to easily cancel your subscription with the phone company immediately after you get that 500$ phone for 1$ :)

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Where are you getting 500 dollar phones for a dollar? I'd sign that contract in a split second, lol.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I do not buy phones like that, but I have just made a quick look and I could get Apple iPhone 5 16GB for 2 cents, but I would have to pay about $60 monthly flat rate for calls.

12. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

My wife says buying a phone in Ukraine is as simple as buying the phone and inserting your SIM card. If you have 3 completely different phones for 3 different purposes you can just swap the card around. Battery dead? Just swap your card into your friends phone.

Imagine that, owning the service you paid for as well as owning the hardware you paid for.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is why I like 'pay as you go' phones. ;)

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I never buy phone under contracts, i always buy unlocked phones then go with the one i want. :D

15. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

16. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

You can do that in all Europe. Some of them require an identity card though when buying a new SIM. Now I have a dual SIM phone with 2 different operators from 2 different countries.

17. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

In my country it is.

18. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

lots of things are illegal, get over it:rolleyes:

19. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

When you purchase a phone on contract (and the US is the worst compared to most of the rest of the world - the model stinks) you are locked into a bill for 2 years. You're going to pay it no matter what. If you cancel it, you will get hit with an Early Termination Fee. here is AT&T's:

So, $325 *plus* what you paid for the hardware, which is usually $200-$300 for a top of line phone.

Unlocking doesn't hurt them at all, IMO - dumb "law".

They're just ticked off that they can't gouge you with all those extra fees and taxes by keeping you "hooked".

PD

20. roger_m

Here in Australia you usually get the phone for free or for very little cost.

If you terminate early then I believe you have to pay the whatever the amount of monthly payments are left on your contract. If for example you are on a $79 two year contract, this can be very expensive.

21. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

True there are a lot of things illegal, but it's like prohibition. It doesn't work when a large chuck of the population participates and believes in it. Hence why half a dozen other illegal practices from prostitution to pirating remain so prolific despite federal enforcement. Uncle Sam is fighting a losing battle.

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

How are they going to prove you didn't buy it unlocked in the first place?

23. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

There are things like IMEI on your phone.

24. roger_m

Can't speak for other phones, but on Android phones it is not too much trouble to change these.

My phone came without any IMEI numbers (it can take two sim cards, and no IMEI number for either) and I had to make up IMEI numbers and write them to the phone before I could make any calls.

25. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Ditto, I pay full price and have the liberty to do whatever I want and not get any carrier logos in my phone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.