Unknown user profile appears in safe mode

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by rattytat, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rattytat

rattytat Registered Member

The problem began when I was unable to change my homepage or enable the google toolbar. I searched the web and was led to believe that I had spyware installed. I found an article suggesting the following:
    run HijackThis.
    rub Enwido.
    boot into safe mode.
    run SmitRem.
    run ActiveScan.
    The process found several corrupt files, but I was suprised to find an unkown user named "Supernaut" at the welcome screen in safe mode.
    I tried to delete the user, but it is an administrator account and password protected.
    I'm also still unable to change my homepage or enable the google toolbar.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. crkit1

crkit1 Registered Member

Did u get ur PC second hand? If you did it is possible that the administrator account was set up by the previous owner. That admin account is created when a new computer is set up for the first time and doesn't show unless in safe mode. Are u running Windows 2000? I could be way off base. Let me know please. There are some things you can do about it, if you care to. Thanks, Crickette
    PS, there is some info on this topic in the following thread, read down in it to find the links at microsoft dealing with this issue...just to give you some info about the admin account...ok:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=90912&highlight=boot problem

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  3. rattytat

rattytat Registered Member

No, I built the computer myself a couple of years ago. I'm running Windows xp professional edition. When I go into user accounts in safe mode both mine and "supernaut"s accounts are listed as administrators. Sorry for the delay-I didn't know anyone had replied.
    thanks

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you have an extra admin account in your pc and you have no idea how it got there and what it does, and you cannot access it, the best thing would be to start from scratch. In your place, I would.
    Backup personal stuff to cd / dvds and then start from the beginning with windows installation, delete partitions, create new ones, format and so on.
    Mrk

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.