Unknown Network activity

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by XenonS, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XenonS

XenonS Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm running ESS in Interactive mode (Firewall and HIPS).
    When I go in Tools > Network connections, a program which I trust is showing me some unknown network activity: an unknown Remote IP adress with a https Remote Port.

If I go to F5 > Personal Firewall > Rules and zones, I look for any rules for the trusted program, but cannot find any rule or relationship to the information displayed in the Network Connection display.

What must I do in ESS if I want to know more about this network activity displayed in the "Network connection"?

I think the HowTo here is important for better understanding ESS and its protection.
    So, thank you for any responses!
    XenonS

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

In Tools > Network Connections, you can right click the IP Address and choose 'show details' for more information. You can run a browser search on the IP Address to get a better idea on what or who it might pertain to. You can also right click the entry and temporarily deny communication for it and see if any services, applications or devices stop working properly.

3. XenonS

XenonS Registered Member

dwomack, thanks very much for your tips.
    Reading more on network basics I figure out that Remote IPs are not necessarly a threat indication. Also the program in question (VMware) has a very specific network setup, so everything is allright.

Thanks,
    XenonS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.