universal server restore to foreign hardware results in quick bsod followed by reboot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kurtla, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtla

kurtla Registered Member

did a cd based image of old dell server - non safe universal restore - using the version before Build 8206, server 2003 std fully patched - just a simple member server - dual prob with a 3 drive raid 5 - single container that has the os, data, etc. image completes fine. target server is a brand new dell t300 with a raid 1. retore to target (universal restore safe) completes just fine. remove the cd, restart, completes post, starts winedows server 2003 screen and then a one second flash of a bsod, not readable and then it starts to reboot over and over. image and restore were over a network - old server has usb 1so a backup would take ~14 hours. besides trying a new version is there something I should look at, I don't have much to go on other than its some sort of hardware issue I assume. to me this is acronis 1+1, its what I got the software to do. Thanks a ton, I will buy you all drinks when you come out my way!

2. atitlan

atitlan Registered Member

Re: univeral server restore to foreign hardware results in quick bsod followed by reboot

kurtla: I do not have experience with UR on Echo Server for Windows; rather, with Echo Workstation.

However, I have learned that if the boot.ini of your Windows Server 2003 contains an "arc path', Universal Restore fails completely, even if the Echo backup has been validated and appears to have restored successfully.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873

The boot ini must look like this (with allowance for your network structure):

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Server 2003" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

You don't mention this in the post, but I am assuming you provided the UR restoration sequence with appropriate chipset drivers for the motherboard of the new Dell T300. Otherwise, no go.

Finally, it might just help to build a New boot CD with the latest build of Echo Server. Look at the History for the new build to see if it fixes any issues relevant to your case.

Good luck!

3. kurtla

kurtla Registered Member

thanks so much for the clear thoughtful post

Code:

I am going to check the boot file and go over all the steps I took, I must have overlooked something. again my thanks - I will post back what
    happens.

edit:
    not the boot, time to check my work - actually time for bed, more later.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

4. kurtla

kurtla Registered Member

worked!

I started over - I made a new boot disk, used it to make a new image across the network. stuck the new book disk into the new computer, pathed out to the image and to the raid drivers on my thumb drive and walked away. came in this am and it booted right up - took 5 minutes to find the usb mouse and keyboard which is pretty typical. plug and play loaded scsi, blackplane and nic from the openmanage disk and with a few more reboots I was whole again. host was a dual proc 3 drive raid 5 and target was a single quad with a 2 drive raid 1 - pretty f'ing amazing - had to save me a day + with all the apps on that server. Kurt

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Re: worked!

Glad to hear that the new backup and restore worked.

Seems to me that you owe Atitlan a bunch of drinks. :) Hope he lives near by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.