Universal Restore wants 15 days to restore a 40gig disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pkellner, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkellner

pkellner Registered Member

I've got a new dell lattitude d830. I created the boot disk with the universal restore option installed. I took my backup from a travelmate 8200 and put it on a usb 2.0 drive I attached to the new dell. When I say restore the entire hard disk, it starts but wants to go for 15 more days. Should I let it?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If that estimate was the first that popped up, let it run for about five minutes. If it doesn't go lower by then, something is drastically wrong. Usually the first time estimate that pops up is way out of whack.

3. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Also, the linux based recovery disc is notorious for being slow. You could create a BartPE or Reatogo disc with Mustang's TI plugin and it is typically much faster. It does require a little more initial work though but once you have setup and configured BartPE it is worth it's weight in gold. Here is a step by step guide.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  4. lucasinb

lucasinb Registered Member

I have the same problem with a similar Dell product . Latitude D630. Have you found a resolve yet?

5. lucasinb

Just to further my problem. I have the most up to date TI software (3887) with universal restore installed. I have used this software on my prevoius 3 laptops all coming from the Dell latitude D600 family. (D600, D610, D620 and now D630) It has worked flawlessly for me in the past and my new image is fine as I tested it with another D620 to be sure. So that in turn also makes sure the USB drive is fine. I have updated the new computer BIOS to the latest version to make sure it was not the Bios and same results. Any other suggestions. I have alredy tried contacting ACRONIS support but they have not answered as of yet (1.5 days ago) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  6. FBMachines

See post #3 in this thread. It should resolve your issue.

7. lucasinb

This product has alwys worked very quickly in the past. A bartpe disk is not the fix. It may be a bandaid but I need to this to work corporate wide and that is not the answer. The users already know how to use this product and I do not want to confuse users at all. (lord knows that they are easly strayed and confused enough)

8. FBMachines

The issue probably resides in the USB controller driver the Linux based Acronis Recovery Media Disc is using. If BartPE is not an option for you then you will have to contact Acronis Support and see what they can do.

9. appster

appster Registered Member

I have a similar requirement and would be willing to purchase ATI 9.1 Workstation with Universal Restore if I knew the restore to a new (and different) notebook could be accomplished with a high degree of certainty (and preferably in 8 hours or less)! :doubt:

10. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I would also like to use UR to restore images onto other PCs, but I keep reading posts in this forum expressing various difficulties in accomplishing that.

I would like to hear from some of you who have done this and found UR to be reliable... :doubt:

11. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Many here, including me, have reported problems with Universal Restore for at least 3 months. The latest Workstation v3887 simply does not work on any of my 3 machines, 2 of which are Dell laptops. The Universal Restore option does not appear after booting to the Recovery CD.

I have sent tickets in to Acronis (I paid extra for Maintenance) and received instructions on how to get them a file they requested. It took me over two hours to produce the file and I immediately sent it to them. After waiting 30 days for a response, I again requested that they give me the results of the information that I sent them. They responded with an email, not even mentioning the file that I sent them, and requesting some more files which would take the same amount of time to reproduce.

At this point I gave up with this company. They have the worst support in the industry. Even though many have reported the problem here, they have refused to acknowledge that they have a bug in their software. They refuse to fix the problem and prefer to blame it on hardware, even though, earlier versions (3666) work on my computers. My impression of this company is that they have a low paid clerk in Boston that monitors these forums and handles their tickets. They then send them back to Russia and make excuses while they wait for answers, which get lost or which are just not answered on purpose.

<snip>

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pkellner,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of both Acronis True Image and the respective version of Acronis Universal Restore. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. Acronis Support

Hello lucasinb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Meanwhile, please collect the information requested in my previous post and send it as a reply to the autoreply with Acronis request number. That will help resolve the issue you encountered faster.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. Acronis Support

Hello appster and Jo Ann,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the windows version for a period of 15 days and manage up to 5 remote computers. The standalone version (bootable media) will have only restore function available.

Please submit a request to Acronis Support if you want to receive a trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as well.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team by filling up the Volume License Request form available at the Purchase Acronis Corporate Solutions page of Acronis web site.

Please note that according to Acronis License Policy you need to purchase one copy of the product for every computer it will be used to manage.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. appster

I don't think so Marat, I believe I will pass and look elsewhere...

Firstly, after reading the posts here and in several other threads, any hope that I had that ATI 9.1 wth UR could be relied upon to successfully restore my current notebook's hard drive to any new notebook of my choosing is gone.

Secondly, the very poor Acronis tech-support reports here and in other threads, topped off by your 'boilerplate' replies (above) hasn't made me feel any more comfortable!

Thirdly, how would a trial version which does not generate an Emergency Restore CD (with UR) allow me to test the type of restore-situation that I'm concerned about?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  16. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Appster and others, try this workaround that does not require UR.
    Before making the Image, change the display type to a generic VGA one (you can always change it back after you make the Image). Then try to restore the Image to the new hardware. This has worked for me.

Of course, if you get the restore to work, you will then have to install the driver for the video adapter on the new system. Other drivers for devices on the new system that are different to the system from which the Image was made will also need to be installed.

17. appster

DnD, changing display-type to VGA seems like a good tip, but how does one install the new system's drivers when we are talking about using the Emergency Boot CD to do the restore? As a sincere question, shouldn't all of that be accomplished by UR?

18. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Check out Driver Genius or Driver Magician. They will restore all of your drivers.

19. Acronis Support

Hello appster,
    Please notice that by the nature of this (technical support) forum, most people post here because they encounter problems, and we always do everything possible to help them othercome the issues they encounter.
    Actually, trial version of Acronis True Image does have the ability to create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, which is mentioned in my previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

20. lucasinb

So I just tried a bart PE diask as a last resort and it dosent even see the hard drive. Looks like the problem with the acronis software is in the hard drive controller. The SATA drive in this unit cannot be seen properly by the Acronis software. I hope acronis gets this right. If not we and I assume others will be forced to take our business someplace else.

21. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You may have to add drivers to your BartPE build. Try this driver pack http://downloads.littlbuger.info/index.php?dlid=528. Save the file to your pebuilder folder, double click to extract and then rebuild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.