Universal Restore to Virtual or Physical?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by garyb1703, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyb1703

garyb1703 Registered Member

Hi,
    Very new so please bear with me as I have a couple of questions?

1 - When using universal restore do you need to create bootable rescue media for each server/workstation you backup or can I create one media disk and use that to boot a variety of machines in the event of disaster?

2 - Does universal restore need to be installed on every server/workstation that I woudl like to recover in the event of disaster?

3 - All of my potential recoveries would be to different hardware. If for example I was trying to recover a Dell PE2650 onto a Dell PE 1750 would I need the hardware drivers for the 1750 when using universal restore? I have tried this without drivers and got BSOD, not matter what I do it just keeps BSOD and rebooting!

4 - If restoring to VM is it best to use the conversion optons?

Many thanx

2. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Welcome to the TI family garyb1703!

1.) One disk is sufficient. Of course you need licenses for each PC it will be used on.

2.) No, once you have a "working" recovery disk with UR on it. UR does not have to be install at all on any PC.

3.) Yes, you need the target PC drivers for UR.

4.) You could use the conversion method either within Acronis TI or the one from VMWare but I find that booting into the VM with the recovery disc (or ISO) and performing a restore with Universal Recovery into it to be a great option also.

3. garyb1703

garyb1703 Registered Member

Many thanks for your kind reply.

1.) One disk is sufficient. Of course you need licenses for each PC it will be used on.

Thats covered thank you.

2.) No, once you have a "working" recovery disk with UR on it. UR does not have to be install at all on any PC.

Ok

3.) Yes, you need the target PC drivers for UR.

Which drivers would I need, when I load my asset tag into Dell support it lists a total of 8 drivers fro that PE1750 server, is it hard drive drivers, scsi drivers, perc drivers etc?

4.) You could use the conversion method either within Acronis TI or the one from VMWare but I find that booting into the VM with the recovery disc (or ISO) and performing a restore with Universal Recovery into it to be a great option also.

Oddly enough simply restoring using UR gives BSOD errors, but if I convert the backup into VMWare then creat a virtual machine with VM it works a treat? Surely it would require the same drivers whether VM or straight backup? Have I missed something?

Also when I backup/restore an XP SP3 machine it wont alow me to boot as its claims its not registered. Using the key on the original laptop doesnt work either. I would have thought it would have taken all settings across?

Thanx again

4. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Typically the storage controller and I think sometimes the graphics card drivers.

One would think they would be the same, it might not be finding the drivers though. Try the VMWare converter I linked in the previous post. It's free and it typically provides great results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.