Universal Restore takes 4 days

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gcoleman, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoleman

gcoleman Registered Member

Created a Windows XP Pro template image on a standard desktop machine.

Bought a Shuttle system, both have Sata drives, both are AMD, everything else is different such as the CPU type (dual core to single), motherboard, etc.

Booted the Shuttle with the Acronis True Image disk and the Universal restore plug in and option activated for the restore.

Restore commenced, claims that the 6gig image will take 4 days to complete.

I could build 50 machines in the traditional way in this amount of time.

What gives?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

But did it take 4 days? Seriously, it has been known for TI etc, to show long estimated times but actually complete in a more realistic time.

Of course MS programs themselves suffer from the same propblem occasionally.

Colin

3. gcoleman

I let it go to day 2.5 and gave up as that is worthless to me. So yes, it takes over 24 hours which is unacceptable.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What happens if you try to restore from within Windows?

Sounds like a linux kernel/driver problem.

If the restore works as advertised from within Windows, then the answer to this problem is to make a restore CD using BartsPe - as this uses Windows drivers all will be well.

TI has the needed files that BartsPe requires - in well, the BartsPe folder on your hardrive, you'll still need to download BartsPe and make a Windows install environment image.

Colin

5. gcoleman

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "from within windows"?

The Acronis disk boots to it's own "OS" then you point at the image then a destination.

Restoring in any other method than Universal, restores within an hour or much less. Using the universal option restores in days.

6. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Yes that true but you can build your OWN bootcd based on BARTPE (Windows Preinstallation environment) combined with the Plugin from Mustang which support Universal Restore (The acronis plugin still doesn't) and your good to go

Works for me everytime!

7. gcoleman

Oh really? Could you link me to this "Mustang" plugin? I will give it a try.

Thanks for the tip!

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gcoleman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux-based and has it's own assortment of drivers for a wide variety of modern hardware devices. As bodgy has already mentioned above, the most probable reason for the problem you experience is a lack of the appropriate drivers or poor support for some of the hardware devices installed in the computer you boot from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version (build 3718 for Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server and build 3677 for Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows) which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing the latest build.

Note that in case of using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server you should update all components including Acronis Agents, Acronis Management Console, Acronis Backup and Group Servers. It is obligatory for all components to be of the same build on order to interact correctly.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version then please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter doesn't help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

- Where do you store the backup?

- Try placing the backup to any other storage device (e.g. internal, external or networked drive, CD, DVD, ZIP drive, etc.) and see if the problem persists. Let us know the result.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

P.S. Please also note that a possible workaround is to use BartPE-based bootable CD allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

As Jeremy has mentioned above, you should use Mustang's alternative plug-in, because Acronis official plug-in does not provide Acronis Universal Restore functionality yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.