Universal Restore - PCI adapters

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mma8108, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mma8108

mma8108 Registered Member

I created a full backup of a machine that had it's network card and display adapter in PCI slots. The new machine's display adapter and LAN port are both integrated. The restore worked okay on the desitination machine (xp pro) but continually reboots. During the restore I was prompted twice to review a conflict of the drivers, both being PCI, but could not understand the problem as the conflict appered to be several charachters all strung together and did not make sense.

any help is appreciated.

MIchael

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can't make a backup of one machine with a particular hardware configuration and dump it onto another machine with different hardware. The drivers are wrong for one thing.

Have a look at Microsoft's Sysprep and articles in their Knowledge Base about moving an OS in this manner. Sometimes the port works easily and sometimes it doesn't.

Even though it takes a bit of time I use a new PC as an opportunity to cleanup my system with a fresh install of Windows and to only reload the applications that I now want on the machine.

3. mma8108

I was of the understanding that "Universal Restore" allowed you to put an image onto any machine. I guess I misunderstood.

Michael

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, my apolgies, I didn't read your title properly and was thinking TI Home which does not support the Universal Restore product. My understanding is that UR does do what you want it to do but I don't use it so that's all I can say about it.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Michael,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what exact error messages you have received during the restoration process?

We recommend you to create a new backup and try to restore it once again. Please choose a partition with a Windows operating system for the restoration not the entire hard drive and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report of your restored computer in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. mma8108

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am using Universal Restore. I'm going to create a new image tonight and will restore same to a different machine. The source machine is running xp pro.

Michael

7. mma8108

I finished testing another TI Universal Restore with two machines with identical hardware (both are CISNET machines). Ran universal restore to restore one and copied the image onto the other - again using universal restore.

During the restore process, I was prompted twice indicating that the process needed two drivers ( I wrote them down but do not have them now). The first driver related to a RAID sis file. I was then presented with a prompt that indicated the restore did not complete successfully.

HOWEVER, when I booted the target machine where the image was applied, the restore did indeed take okay.

I'll get the exact messages, but thought I'd pass this on.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.