Universal Restore on Domain Controllers question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jeff650, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff650

jeff650 Registered Member

I have 2 Windows 2000 Domain Controllers, named DC1 and DC2. I would like to image the DC1 domain controller (the first DC in our domain) and restore it to another server with different hardware. What is the best practice to do so?

Power down DC2.
    Before i do the backup on DC1, perform this command
    * net stop ntfrs
    * net stop netlogon

After the backup has finished to an external USB hard drive, shut down DC1.

Power up the new server with different hardware and perform the Acronis Universal Restore.
    Once the restore is done and i've installed the new drivers for the new hardware, power up DC2 and do a manual sync of the two domain controllers.

Is that the best practice?

I've read the following posts and it talks about USN rollback hell, and i really don't want to be in that situation.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=552065#post552065

Since DC2 is powered down and there is no changes to the AD during the time of the backup and restore of the new DC1, i could ignore booting AD into restore mode and restoring system state right?

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

The problem here is that you'll have twice the same DC!

Universal Restore does not change SID, so it will be WAR.

definitely not a good idea!

Jaycee

3. jeff650

jeff650 Registered Member

I wouldn't power up the old DC1, so i shouldn't have a problem with the SID correct?

That's my main goal of doing the Universal Restore, to backup and restore the domain controller to another server with different hardware.

4. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

So yes, but I would advice you to backup "offline". Shutdown DC1, boot up on Acronis CD, backup, then boot Acronis CD on DC2 and restore using UR.

Make sure you have your RAID drivers for Windows 2003 handy when you restore, and it should just go fine!

Jaycee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.