Universal Restore Invalidates Genuine Windows

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by oliverhbailey, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliverhbailey

oliverhbailey Registered Member

Beware everyone,
    I just downloaded and used the Universal Restore to update to a new machine. Everything went well and Windows reactivation succeeded but now I have a constant message that my copy of Windows is no longer legitimate. I called Microsoft and they sent to a site where validation occurs but the time and date repeatedly fail (the date, time, and time zone are all correct). I've emailed Microsoft support and received no reply. I also emailed Microsoft management and received no reply. So beware, if you experience the same problem you will no longer have access to Windows XP updates or support. I don't know how to reach Acronis so I'm posting this to your forum.

Regards,
    Oliver H. Bailey

2. oliverhbailey

oliverhbailey Registered Member

I found the problem. The time and date were set in the new machine bios before the restore. For some reason after the restore the time was correct but the date was advanced by two days. I reset the date and re-visited the Microsoft verification site and the system validated.

I have noticed a post here about the speed of restoring to a new machine being extremely slow. I restored a backup from a USB drive in about 7 hours with verification of the .tlb file.

The first time took almost a day and it was due to the fact that I had backed up a partition rather than the drive. After backing up the the entire drive, I ran the restore over night. The next morning I had to put Halacpi.dll and Hal.dll on a CD to replace the originals which Universal restore could not find and the system booted immediately to my pleasure. I didn't even have to retype the authorization from the original Windows XP CD.

Running this process overnight and having a brand new system the next day is a real time saver.

Thanks Acronis!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.