universal restore how exactly?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paulow1978, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulow1978

paulow1978 Registered Member

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying tru image 9 workstation and the universal restore option. After flicking through the documentation I am confused as to how exactly the universal restore will work. What I want to be able to do is....

1.) I have one xp home machine on my network. I want to have a cloned image of this mahine and restore it to another pc (dissimilar hardware).

I only have the demo of true image workstation and so it is a little hard to understand what steps I will need to undertake in order to do this. At the moment I believe it is the following.... correct me if I am wrong.

1.) install ti workstation + universtal restore option to xp home machine
    2.) install blank secondary ide hard disk and set it to slave
    3.) clone master disk to slave disk using acronis software
    4.) create universal restore cd boot disk?
    5.) take out slave drive and add to machine b as a slave drive
    6.) boot machine b using universal restore disk, select image from slave drive and copy it to master drive
    7.) go through universal wizard and restore

also exactly how many licenses do i need to do this. i was figuring just one license of ti workstation?

thanks

Paul

2. paulow1978

anyone?

3. paulow1978

come on support! the steps in the ti workstation guide are very vague. I want to buy this product for my company this week!!!

4. paulow1978

Re: Where is Acronis's Support?

For goodness sake support!! sort it out!. you have supposedly one fo the most in demand pieces of software in the IT industry right now. If your support was as good as the product is purported to be then you would all be making millions!!!. I am still waiting to here answers to my questions by the way (36 hours later). What are the support team doing? or is there actually only one support person and one developer at Acronis?

5. paulow1978

With support like this I wonder if I will be taking my companies business elsewehere. Not particularly reassuring considering at some point I was thinking of buying some of your ti enterprise licenses for p2v migrations.

6. jsolo

jsolo Registered Member

Paul,

I think the forums are a secondary unofficial support channel.

Follow the instructions in the stickies to create a ticket with support.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I sent you a PM, did you receive it?

Pete

8. paulow1978

thanks peter,

I will check it out now

Paul

9. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

Also, if you get maintanence on your ATI licenses, you'll have a 1800# to call 24/7. So far, I've gotten through in under 3 minutes each time. I'm still working on solving my problem though.

If you do try this, I'd think about sysprepping the image over universal restore - so far I've had universal restore "work" on 2 different Lenovo machines, but the mouse and keyboard don't work on the restored machine, so I can't log in.

10. paulow1978

Ok,

would you be helpful enough to tell me in short steps as to how you did unversal restore (i.e. did you save the image to a network share or did you image to a slaved drive then remove the slave and put it into the machine you were going to restore to?)

11. paulow1978

I tell you what annoys me is that this forum is a link from their website. I would therefore expect some sort of support. I don't usually act like an a** (sometimes granted!) but my company have a real need for this software. Not only do they not have a trial version for universal restore so you are buying blindly but there are no manuals on universal restore for download, no guides and no support on the forum (well there are but I have not received them yet). I am going to go with a new product now by another company because this product and company are just not up to scratch. If I could of had an answer to my question I would have been far more inclined to use the software. Considering we have 15 production servers in need of the universal restore capability and 100 workstations I think Acronis have probably just lost themselves an awful lot of money. I really hope they get it sorted and to be honest even if they do I will never recommend them to anyone or use them. Absolute rubbish! I am really peeved off about it.

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Here is how I do it:

1. Image the system drive of the first machine onto an external hard drive.
    2. On the second machine, I have installed Driver Genius which puts all the drivers from the second machine in to an .exe file that can be restored with one click. I save this file to the external drive.

3. Restore the image from the first machine to the second machine using Universal Restore. Do NOT restore the MBR.

4. After booting the second machine, restore the drivers with the .exe file.

I hope this helps.

13. spike711

spike711 Registered Member

Re: universal restore how exactly? Manual

Universal Restore Instrustions are inside ATI manuals.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: universal restore how exactly? Manual

Hello paulow1978,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response. Currently the response time on the Official Acronis Support Forum is temporary increased. We will certainly do our best in order to normalize the response time. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Please note that as I stated in this previous post, the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. Follow the instructions provided in the mentioned post to obtain the trial version of the product.

Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for the corporate versions of Acronis True Image and as spike711 the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in conjunction with Acronis True Image can be found in the User's Guide for the respective version of Acronis True Image.

Basically, in order to transfer the system to different hardware you will need to perform the actions described in this FAQ article. It is preferred that image contains entire source disk.

Would also like to note that Acronis Universal Restore plug-in does not support Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, NT 4.0 Workstation, 98, or Me.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.