Universal Restore and Adding Drivers

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by guymcd, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guymcd

guymcd Registered Member

Hello,

Here's what I have:
    • TrueImage Echo Workstation
    • Universal Restore
    • Pre sysprep Image of a Win XP Pro HDD
    • Toshiba Satellite Pro A-100 laptop with XP Pro
    • Toshiba Satellite Pro A-200 laptop with Vista Business

Here's what I did:
    1. Created the image of the A-100 on DVD
    2. Captured the drivers from the A-200 via Driver Magician on a flash drive
    3. Restored the A-100 image to the A-200 laptop from the DVD, with the flash drive plugged in
    4. Set the restore process to search the directory of drivers on the flash drive for any missing drivers

All seems to go well but then the restore process wants the drivers for:
    • PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_FF021179&REV_00
    • *CPL0001

I did some research on what those refer to. It appears that the correct drivers for those devices are on the flash drive, yet they simply won't load.

Manually directing the restore operation to the first driver causes the restore process to never end.

Is there a better way to do this?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You understand that you'll be wiping out Vista to put XP on the 200? The driver that's causing the problem may not be cross compatible. Do you know for sure that XP will run on the 200?

3. guymcd

guymcd Registered Member

Yes, I just got the roll back disks from Toshiba this morning and rolled the A-200 back to Win XP Pro.

Then I used a driver back-up tool to grab all the drivers off of that installation and put them on the flash drive.

Then I followed the same procedure as above.
    Restore from the DVD with True Image and Universal Restore
    Direct the restore process to search the flash drive for needed drivers

At one point I had to point it to the driver for the PCI\VEN_104C&DEC_803B&SUBSYS_FF021179&REV_00
    That, apparently, references a Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller.

In my driver back up, there is a folder named Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller - I would presume that the driver would be in there so I pointed the restore process to the .inf file in that folder.

The restoration process continued, but now it keeps changing the ETA for the restoration process and the process never completes.

I'm stumped.

4. DwnNdrty

From the few UR procedures I've done, you have to manually add the drivers that you want UR to install. Just leave out that driver and install it after you get the system going. The most important driver you have to install with UR is the video adapter.

5. guymcd

guymcd Registered Member

The thing with that is, the laptop won't boot into Windows XP Pro. I'm assuming that it is because these drivers aren't being loaded.

If not being able to boot and not being able to load the driver are NOT related, well, then I haven't a clue where to go next! :rolleyes:

Perhaps another image for these machines.....but that's why I got TI and UR - to avoid that scenario. :p

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello guymcd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please do the following to collect Windows registry data from the target system (that is, the system to which the image was restored):
    - Boot the computer under consideration from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media;
    - Create files/folders backup of \Windows\System32\Config folder.

Please perform the same operation with the source system.

So, we need two Windows registry exports: from source system and from target system.

Please also create Acronis Report on the target machine the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also clarify, at what step does the restored system's boot sequence stop?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. DwnNdrty

Unless the process has changed in Echo Workstation compared to version 9 Home, you have to manually ADD the necessary drivers. Is there now a "search" feature? Even if there is, try adding the drivers manually if there is that option.

8. stevewa

stevewa Registered Member

Does this mean Universal Restore is not worth the extra price?

I have not bought it yet, and there does not seem to be a trial version available.

It sounds nice, but if it doesn't work...

So does it detect that the hardware you are restoring to is different from the one you backed up? And does it indicate which devices it needs drivers for in a friendly name format like PCI Modem, or does it just use the PCI\VEN_104C&DEC_803B&SUBSYS_FF021179&REV_00 criptic codes? How the !@#$ can you figure out what that means? Especially at restore time, when you have a nervous boss looking over your shoulder to see if you bring his data back from a dead server...:ouch:

9. gungold

gungold Registered Member

As long as you are able to implement Universal Restore within True Image Echo Workstation it seems to fulfill what it is advertised for: restoring backup images on different hardware.
    This is defintely not the case with the German Build 8018 of True Image Echo Workstation as you never get Universal Restore correctly integrated into the True Image Workstation application. Tried it on three machines with completely different hardware settings on two OSes, always the same result in not getting the option to choose Universal Restore before the final restore process.

greetings gg

10. guymcd

guymcd Registered Member

My situation is using True Image Echo with Universal Restore.

Really, for the most part, it has worked GREAT! Just this one particular model of laptop, it encounters the above error. Mind you I am going from typically a Toshiba of one model to Toshiba of another model.

To be fair, I haven't had the time to run a diagnostic on it to send to Acronis.

11. guymcd

guymcd Registered Member

Hi Marat,

Will the below process work if I run it from a flash drive? FDD are rare around here.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello guymcd,

No, the described process will not work with a flash drive. In this case, please submit a support request with all other information. Please mention in your request that you do not have a floppy drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

so Universal Restore doesnt worth the money.... nither the workstauin if so.....will test the home (11) version

14. guymcd

guymcd Registered Member

I've now done the Master Image completely on the Toshiba SatellitePro A-200. Then I made the recovery disk with TI and restored the image using TI and UR.

Same driver error.

Mind you, this time the laptop will boot and there doesn't appear to be any driver problems.

Maybe this is just the way it has to be.

15. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Home 11 doesn't have the ability to restore to another different spec'ed machine.

Actually no, its the Mass Storage Drivers that is the most important. You don't need anything else during restoration because this is all the system needs to boot into windows and windows will be the one responsible to install the drivers for the video adaptor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.