Universal Restore/Acronis True Image Echo Server Trouble on HP ProLiant ML150 G3

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by deltadm, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltadm

deltadm Registered Member

Dear all

I have been working on a serious problem for quite a long time now. o_O :(
    It is concerned with migrating a legacy Windows 2000 Server installation from one HP server (which is currently still "productive" but has no warranty or hardware support) to a new HP ProLiant ML150 G3 (which is officially supported for Win2k Server - this server is still "testing" but should go "productive" asap).

We read all information about Acronis True Image Echo Server we could find online and finally bought Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows AND Universal Restore to perform the aforementioned task.

While the imaging (True Image Echo Server for Windows build 8018 and 8076) on the productive server works without trouble, the bare metal restore gives me headaches.
    I am experiencing the same trouble described in piotrpawl's post from Nov 2007 and frangiyyeh's post from April 2007. => i.e. the True Image Echo Server Boot CD freezes immediately after the selection screen appears. It is not possible to select anything (neither by keyboard nor by mouse) and it is not possible to get the linux prompt.

I have tried innumerous things so far and followed every hint I could get my hands on. In particular I tried ALL hints given in the two forum posts mentioned above.

I have finally managed 2 things:

[1]
    Using
    * BartPE
    * HP Smart Array Controller Drivers (integrated into BartPE)
    * HP Network Adapter Drivers (integrated into BartPE)
    * Acronis PE Plugin
    I managed to restore the image taken from the productive server to the new server.
    It will not surprise you to read that the new server didn't boot throwing a blue screen saying INNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE at me.
    It didn't surprise me either.

[2]
    Using
    * Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM
    * Win2k SP4 (slipstreamed into Win2k Server CD Files)
    * Win2k Update Rollup v2 (slipstreamed into Win2k Server CD Files)
    * HP Smart Array Controller Drivers
    * HP Network Adapter Drivers
    * nlite 1.4.5
    I managed to create a Win2k Server BootCD which actually enables me to install the operating system from scratch.
    (Surprisingly, it is NOT possible to install the OS just using HP FDD Key and the HP Smart Array Controller Drivers to supply the drivers to the OS installer by pressing F6. During the 1st stages of the installation procedure the drivers are accepted and the HDDs recognized. However, in a later stage the installer prompts for the drivers again and doesn't accept them anymore. o_O )
    Unfortunately, the productive server REALLY, REALLY is a legacy server - meaning, that there is no documentation on crucial issues. Several employees which worked on this machine have come and gone and... - you know the drill :rolleyes: - they didn't document their actions. Thus, an installation from scratch is virtually unthinkable. :cautious:
    Therefore it is essential to us to migrate this server to new hardware until we can (finally!!!) put it out of service in a year or two.
    (New policies are in place now that should prevent such an undocumented disaster in the future... ;) )

On April 4th, 2008, I wrote an extensive support request by Email to the Acronis Support Team in Germany (Ticket [Acronis #1413073]). We have not received - I repeat - we have not received any reply whatsoever for over a month now. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Recently, I have directed my efforts towards trying to make the HDDs accessible to the image restored to the new server. Or, put differently, I tried to make the INNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE message go away. Again, I have read hundreds of forum postings and other online resources and tried out dozens of hints - to no avail.
    (Just to be comprehensive: Repair installation with OS CD containing the HP Smart Array Controller Drivers doesn't help.)

If there is anyone here in this forum who can give us a clue

a) on how to provide a HP Smart Array Controller driver to a 'broken' Win2k Server Installation
    (We are not affraid to use the repair console, to copy files or modify registry keys on the command line.)

b) on how to make the Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows Boot CD (Universal Restore included) boot this machine

we would be very, very, very, :D grateful.

Just for all linux geeks out there:
    The Acronis Boot CD is linux based, isn't it? - Take an Ubuntu Linux Server Edition (e.g. 7.10 or 8.04) and you'll have a running server installation within an hour or so. Been there. Done that. Ubuntu Linux recognizes the controller without trouble.

I guess, that's about it.
    Again, we would appreciate any kind of help tremendously.

Cheers, everyone.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello deltadm,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are terribly sorry for the delay. I have contacted the appropriate person and you should receive an answer to your support request as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. deltadm

deltadm Registered Member

Dear Marat

Thanks for caring!
    It would be great if your internal message to the German Support Team helped.

My original posting to the German Team was only concerned with Build 8018 of Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows... Hopefully the reply won't just be: "Please use our latest release." ;)

We'll see.

Cheers,
    Thomas (alias deltadm)

4. MooreLarge

MooreLarge Registered Member

Hi All,

We just attempted our first restore using Acronis only to hit the same issue.

If you do get a reply and assuming it's not to machine specific could the answer be posted on to the forum as it does appear to be a common issue with HP Proliant servers.

Thanks

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MooreLarge,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

We recommend you to submit a request for technical support. Attach all information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. You will be provided with an iso image of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media with a different bootloader that should solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.